Christmas Dinner

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 AM

We usually have roasted turkey, spiral ham, rice dressing, lil' green peas, yams, pecan pies, other desserts. Since I have little time this year to cook (taking care of husband w/dementia) don't know how much of this we'll really have. Ham is no problem, Honey Baked is great...Depends on who is here & who isn't.....
Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 AM

Oh, let's not forget fresh cranberries just cooked down w/sugar...I did print up the cranberry salad Dix posted..it sounds really good...
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
No seafood?
Oh yes, Loretta...we'll all see-food, and gobble it up!:D
Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 AM

Our Thanksgiving is in October, far enough away that we are all hankering for TURKEY again! We'll have salted beef boiled with cabbage, carrots, turnips and potatoes. Turkey stuffed with bread stuffing and winter savoury and onions. Cranberry sauce and a peas pudding. For dessert my mom always made a steamed dark fruit pudding with rum sauce. Sure miss that dessert!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM

This year I will be cooking prime rib, apple and celery salad with pecans, green beans, potato casserole, rolls and something for dessert. GG
Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM

We have seafood linguine ( red sauce ) and lasagna. I grew up having the italian food ( Don't have a bit of italian in me !) at Christmas - so that is what I keep having. It is sssooo good!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:49 AM

Old fashion Italian Christmas meals were a huge seafood dinner on Christmas Eve and a huge Italian dinner on Christmas Day. Times and diets have changed a lot over the years, and since DH only eats flounder our Christmas Eve dinners are not seafood and we usually have ham on Christmas Day. This year we'll be at DS#1's on Christmas Eve, wonder what the menu will be. We'll be at DS#2's on Christmas Day and I know my DIL is making lasagna and a big green salad and I'll be bringing a big pot of sausage in sauce. May in Jersey
Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 PM

I will not be cooking this year as we are leaving and driving south for the winter on Christmas day......that's right.Christmas day. They tell me that the traffic is lighter..........we'll see !!!!!

anyway, when I do cook for the holiday there is always this dish as it is made the day before and baked that day......very easy and very, very delicious.

Zucchini/carrot bake

1 small onion…chopped
2 lb.zuccini (I use a bag of frozen sliced)
1 can cream of Mushroom soup
8 oz. sour cream
1 cup thin carrot sticks (julliene)
8 oz, Pepperidge Farm Herb stuffing (crush & mix)
1 stick butter (melted)
---Muenster cheese------

Slice zucchini (unpeeled) if using fresh. Cook in salted water w/ the onion...5 min, drain.

Combine sour cream & soup…stir in carrots, (uncooked) and the drained zucchini/onion.

Combine stuffing and butter. Spread ½ of this mixture in the casserole dish and reserve the rest for the topping.

Spoon the vegetable mixture over the stuffing and top with muenster cheese and sprinkle the rest of the herb stuffing over all..

Make this the day before and cover with saren wrap and refrig until about an hour before serving….let rest at room temperature before putting in oven.

BAKE @ 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, uncovered....and all that's left to do is
ENJOY!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Yummmm this all sounds so good!!! I would love to drive around and snack at everyones homes :D:D:D
Old 12-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

We usually have from 12 to 20 for our dinners...

Hubby makes the prime rib, then I make twice baked potatoes, a mixed greens salad with arugala (sp?), crumbled blue cheeses, walnuts and pear slices, with a apricot nectar, vinegar and oil salad dressing, then there is mom's purple stuff ( a grape jello, marshmellos, cream cheese and dream whip mold), Fresh popped italian green beans cooked the low and slow way, and homemade parkerhouse rolls. Oh and gravy.. my family loves gravy. Desert will be spice cookies, cheesecake and chocolate cream pie.