Christmas Dinner

Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM

I am looking for something new to have for dinner this year. Usually it is the same-o same-o meal. Ham, potatoes, yams, desserts, veg. This year my husband wants a ham and roasted chicken. But I want at least one or two other sides that is different. Have been thinking of baked mac and cheese that I
have not made before.
What are all of you having?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:12 PM

We are probably smoking a whole beef rib roast. There will be another main dish, havn't decided on that yet. Red potatoes with garlic and rosemary. Home made bread. I don't have it all planned cause I have an arm in a sling and told everyone I was not cooking. DH's family will all be here, at my house. We'll see what they all bring!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 06:08 PM

After spending the morning with DH's kids and our grands, we come home and collapse. I usually make lobster stew the night before (better when it sets) and make bread and a broccoli/cauliflower salad (his favorite)and some sort of dessert. We like quiet after the family time.
We do have a great Christmas breakfast with good casseroles etc. I usually am the one to make most of the food for the breakfast.
My kids are all in Maryland/Virginia and we do try to go down there every couple of years.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

We are having a baked ham, deep fried turkey, potatoes/gravy, dressing, greenbean casserole, fruit salad, cheesy scalloped potatoes, Medditerranean tossed salad, homemade dinner rolls, fresh vegetable and fruit platter, deviled eggs, a Greek rice dish, and who knows what else...what can I say...my family loves the leftovers :D:D:D
Old 12-13-2009, 06:18 PM

We like baked chicken and the brocolli/cauliflower salad and cornbread. But I'm not cooking!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:09 PM

I do Christmas Eve dinner every year and I'm with you--what's something different to make? We usually have roast beef with all the trimmings and usual sides. I think this year I'll add lasagna or stuffed shells. I love reading what all of you are doing and hope to get ideas for something new. Thanks for starting this thread!!
Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 PM

I celebrate Hanukah, and the traditional food is latkes, which are fried potato pancakes -potatoes, onions, eggs, flour, fried in oil and then served with butter, sour cream and applesauce. Can't go wrong with latkes!

You could do a red-and-green dish of some sort. Green beans with cranberries, sweet & sour red & green cabbage, a layered red and green jello mold, a greens salad with sliced strawberries (you can buy frozen pre-sliced strawberries and thaw them).
Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 PM

We always have baked mac & cheese. It is a kid favorite around here!

Something lighter is nice, sometimes. How about a Waldorf salad?

Potato cakes are always yummy. I could eat a zillion of those things.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 PM
GMA

we have a traditional - in our family - seafood supper. this year crab legs, shrimp scampi, a wonderful scallop and mashed potato cream baked dish and lots of appitizers. It' an afternoon - then church - then the main course.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 PM

My family loves turkey so we have that and ham, mashed potatoes, gravey, baked corn also known as scalloped corn, cranberry relish, glorified rice, dinner rolls, sweet potatoes, and pies for desert.
I don't do much of the cooking because I don't care to cook but I do like to bake so I do the deserts so it all works out.