Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All White Quilt Questions >

All White Quilt Questions

All White Quilt Questions

Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Question All White Quilt Questions

I want to make an all white quilt, probably do a block pattern. I haven't decided that yet. Have any of you wonderful quilters ever made an all white quilt? If so, do you have any pointers or suggestions for me? I still don't have all my material, I was thinking about including an eyelet of some kind. Guess I just need a shove to get started. I will appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks and enjoy this glorious day!

Frankie
Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM

I once did an all white log cabin. strips were cut at 1 1/4". I had a middle panel of the log cabin I grew up in, also in black and white. I saved and used anything white or near white I could. Most had a little pattern white on white. It turned out great. Use it for a large table cover. Go for it. I think you will enjoy doing it. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. When I got tired of working in white I would get something more colorful to work on and then decided I needed more "calm" and go back to the "log". Took me most of a summer to finish but am quite proud of it now. I have also done a 10" square white quilt in a king size. That was several years ago. Still use it in the summer on my bed. Only problem is I never did any quilting on it so the squares shrunk up different shapes. I still like it and so does anyone else that sees it.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

You will need to put an additional layer of fabric under the eyelet so the batting doesn't poke thru.
I've been collecting white on whites & off whites to do one of these too.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM

I have also been collecting whites. I like the log cabin idea. I had thought about a Tennessee waltz or a storm at sea adding in a super light color.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Be sure you use a true white batting such as Warm and White. Any batting with an off-white color will darken your quilt and show your seam allowances more distinctly. I've never made an all-white quilt, but it sounds intriguing.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM

I know I sound like a broken record but why does a quilt have to be pieced to be a quilt? I have at least three whole cloth white quilts I have totally quilted by hand. It is so much easier and more relaxing not to have to worry about quilting through seams. Quilting has existed for probably more than a thousand years before it became "patchwork". I believe that was a totally American invention as a way to make the most of every scrap of expensive scarce fabric that they had to import from Europe and England before the textile industry got going in this country. It is the layering and sewing the layers together that makes it a quilt not the patchwork. I suggest that each of you either purchase a white on white wholecloth quilt kit or you could make one of your own simply by using a quilting stencil to mark a solid color piece of fabric, say a pillow top, layer it and start quilting. You will be able to accomplish so much more and get almost instant gratification. There are loads of panels and fabric printed to look like patchwork or even applique that you can quilt either by hand or machine and skip all of that cutting and sewing little seams and ripping and repeating. It really is kind of silly to spend so much time cutting up and sewing back together all of those little pieces before you can even get started "quilting".
Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

mpspeedy2---first off- a quilt does not HAVE to be pieced to be a quilt- there are tons of wonderful 'whole cloth quilts' tinabug just said she wants to make a pieced one- which is wonderful too. I have 2 all white quilts, one a whole cloth- the second one was a sampler- done all in white on whites- (I used the star blocks from the Alex Anderson book - keep on quilting) it is wonderful- lots of people wanted that quilt. the only problem I have with white quilts is....when quilting with white thread on a white quilt it is very difficult to see- making the quilting process quite a challenge. good lighting is a must! other than the quilting challenges the quilts were both lots of fun to make.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Tinabug, it sounds like a great project. Isn't it wonderful that in the quilting world we can each choose how we spend our time, energy and money! May you each enjoy your journey.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 PM

I have not done an all-white quilt but have done a log-cabin in all neutrals that included white. I like the quilt but there's a temptation to throw in a "bit darker" color for contrast. Try to resist that urge...i had 90% creams and whites and then included a solid that was just too tan. the quilt is fine and all that but it missed the mark from what i really wanted. Point is--if you intend to do all white..then stick to that rule and try to find as much variety in prints and textures that you can.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM

I just finished a white table runner. Used whites with tone on tone and love it. It would make a beautiful quilt. The eyelet would be great just make sure it is lined. You will love it.