Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
!!!Stupid Question Alert!!   Washing quilts before a entering in a show >

!!!Stupid Question Alert!! Washing quilts before a entering in a show

!!!Stupid Question Alert!! Washing quilts before a entering in a show

Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM

ok -- well lots of varying opinions on this topic. I think, because I have no doubt my quilt will not be accepted into the show, I will go ahead and wash it and block it as described.

Reason I say this is that I'm a new quilter and don't have a lot of FMQ experience but I thought I'd make a quilt as 'perfectly' as I can. At least I can learn from the process of planning, organizing, cutting, sewing, quilting, finishiing, and filling out the application, submitting application, with pics etc.

Worst they can say is no. Right?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:50 PM

I entered a quilt in the AQS modern quilt challenge. I washed and dried and then blocked it before pics. It was accepted. For my quilt it was important to the final look that it be washed and dried. I also think quilting looks a bit better after a little refreshing. But that is JMO. I do know that quilts photographed for publication are not typically washed and dried first. I think it all depends on the quilt, style, maker, etc.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:42 PM

I don't wash show quilts, but I do block them. That's critical to have them hang their best.

A good book to take a look at if you're intereested in showing quilts, both from the actual quilting side and from the showing side, is Karen McTavish's Quilting for Show: A Practical Guide to Successful Competition Quilting. It covers binding, sleeves, burying threads, blocking, trimming, what judges want, what their comments mean, many quilting tips, plus a lot more. It comes with a DVD as well.

Good luck on your entry, Stitch!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Oh, I'd LOVE to have my quilts 'twinkle'!!
Jan in VA
Jan, that is the cutest auto correct I've ever made!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Some shows, fairs actually have rules of no washing so you have to be aware of all the rules when you enter a show.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 AM

Our state fair states that "all quilts must be cleaned". Since I usually wash mine when I'm done with it. Also I do keep them stored in their pillow case until after the fair.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 AM

It depends on the quilt. I entered a quilt made out of 30's fabric and I washed it because I wanted the crinkly look. It won an honorable mention. Wall hangings I usually do not wash but most of the time I do wash the bed quilts. I'm a longarmer and the washing seems to inbed the quilting stitch a bit and I think makes it look nicer. I do not block my quilts.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 AM

Mary --

When you press your quilt - how to you avoid flattening out the puffy look of the quilt or the wrinkley look of the quilt if it has been washed and blocked?

Stitch124

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
I don't wash my quilts if they are gong into a show. I take the time to press them so they will hang nicely. Pressing is a lot of work but the quilt shows so much better. Steaming them will work too.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I have entered a few shows and block those quilts. I don't wet the whole quilt when blocking. I wet about four inches around the quilt and pin the quilt taunt. My quilt top and backing are starched and pressed before quilting.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
A good book to take a look at if you're intereested in showing quilts, both from the actual quilting side and from the showing side, is Karen McTavish's Quilting for Show: A Practical Guide to Successful Competition Quilting. It covers binding, sleeves, burying threads, blocking, trimming, what judges want, what their comments mean, many quilting tips, plus a lot more. It comes with a DVD as well.

Additionally, on the video, she shows how she preps a quilt. She at least wet it, or possibly washed it, and pins it while still damp to styrofoam board to finish drying at the size she wants. (Blocking, I assume) You see her actually crawling around on the floor in the video!