Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All White Quilt Questions >

All White Quilt Questions

All White Quilt Questions

Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug View Post
I want to make an all white quilt, probably do a block pattern. I haven't decided that yet. Have any of you wonderful quilters ever made an all white quilt? If so, do you have any pointers or suggestions for me? I still don't have all my material, I was thinking about including an eyelet of some kind. Guess I just need a shove to get started. I will appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks and enjoy this glorious day!

Frankie
Go for it. White comes in an amazing range of hues from very soft to bright white.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
I know I sound like a broken record but why does a quilt have to be pieced to be a quilt? I have at least three whole cloth white quilts I have totally quilted by hand. It is so much easier and more relaxing not to have to worry about quilting through seams. Quilting has existed for probably more than a thousand years before it became "patchwork". I believe that was a totally American invention as a way to make the most of every scrap of expensive scarce fabric that they had to import from Europe and England before the textile industry got going in this country. It is the layering and sewing the layers together that makes it a quilt not the patchwork. I suggest that each of you either purchase a white on white wholecloth quilt kit or you could make one of your own simply by using a quilting stencil to mark a solid color piece of fabric, say a pillow top, layer it and start quilting. You will be able to accomplish so much more and get almost instant gratification. There are loads of panels and fabric printed to look like patchwork or even applique that you can quilt either by hand or machine and skip all of that cutting and sewing little seams and ripping and repeating. It really is kind of silly to spend so much time cutting up and sewing back together all of those little pieces before you can even get started "quilting".

I can't let this go by without commenting. Personally I think "whole cloth" quilts are boring no matter how fancy the quilting. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. However, I'm not going to tell somebody they shouldn't do something because I don't like it.

Live and let live.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 AM

One of the most beautiful quilts I've seen was a beautifully quilted whole cloth gold damask-like patterned cloth.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

My quilts will be done my way with a little help from my quilting board friends. The only way I let anyone tell me what to do is when I ask them how to do it. Otherwise, I do it my way. Quilt police never make it through my front door.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 AM

I hand quilted a whole cloth lap size quilt for my Mom, she has since passed and I now display it in my sewing area. It is my favorite quilt ever!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 AM

I didn't mean to insult or belittle any of you who make "patchwork" quilts. I make at least 21 Linus blankets every month either by layering and machine quilting a childish print with flannel on the back or crocheting a decorative edge around a piece of fleece. I have a huge fabric collection but only cut it up and then sew the smaller pieces together when it is absolutely necessary. I also do all of my own quilting. The only item I ever sent to a longarmer was a quilt top I purchased at our guild show that I wanted to give my stepdaughter for her 20th wedding anniversary. She is a neo-natal nurse practitioner and a demon for washing everything. I knew she would throw the quilt in the wash every time she changed the bed linens. I was not willing to put that much time and work into something she would likely wash to pieces. I have never seen her use it on her bed and she and her husband have split up in the several years since.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Lots of "only white" quilt images here:
https://www.google.com/search?site=i...88.bIUn3hnbORg
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM

I would love a white on white quilt, whole cloth or patchwork. How would that work with a cat and a husband who drinks coffee in bed in AM while watching news on tv? Perhaps in my next life!
Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 AM

I too, have a desire for all white. I also think a quilt done with all natural would be nice, more on the taupe side. For the white a scalloped border would be sweet.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 AM

I also want to make a whole cloth quilt. I have made pillows and it was not boring at all. How would one get the pattern on a quilt. I used a light box and quilting marker for the pillows.