Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Delicious Raisin Bread >

Delicious Raisin Bread

Delicious Raisin Bread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
SewExtremeSeams, at what point do you add the raisins? Are they kneaded in before rising, or maybe after the first rising when the dough is rolled out for shaping?

I love my bread machine too. When my old one quit working I got a 1 lb Zo. I can reduce your recipe to half and will be just right.
I drop the raisins in just before I put the liquid in. I do try to loosen them from one another as best I can. They seem to mix just fine in the mixing process.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Sorry for the double post. My computer is misbehaving!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I tried this recipe and was not happy with it. I followed the directions exactly and it didn't raise very much. I put it in a bread pan and let it rise for a long time and then baked it. It looks like a brick. I have a feeling it will go into a cinnamon raisin bread pudding because that will disguise most any kind of bread. How did yours turn out??
Hmmm... wonder what could have happened?

I have made over 10 loaves following these directions. A time or two I have somewhat killed the yeast by letting the water be too hot. I usually set my micro on the 1 minute quick start and pull it out 10 seconds before it's finished. It should be on the warm side of tepid. Also, due to the cold temps outside, our kitchen tends to be a bit cold. So, I turn on my oven to the warm setting; let it come up to heat and then turn it off. The oven then becomes my warm cocoon for the bread to rise.

Once my bread has risen I just turn the oven on to 375, leaving the bread in the oven and set my timer for it to bake.

Maybe there wasn't enough yeast. I measure with my tablespoon and shake a little off the top so it is sometimes 2.5 teaspoons... give or take a little.

I hope it will work for you because it is delicious.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM

I have trouble with my bread machine because the bread sticks to the sides and the paddle also seems to stick when I am tread to take it out after it finishes baking. Any suggestions to prevent this? Thanks, Stinker
Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 AM

I love to use my bread machine for mixing and the first rise. Will try this recipe as soon as I buy fresh yeast. Just looked and mine is out of code by a couple months.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by stinker View Post
I have trouble with my bread machine because the bread sticks to the sides and the paddle also seems to stick when I am tread to take it out after it finishes baking. Any suggestions to prevent this? Thanks, Stinker
Are you talking really stuck or sticky dough? Occasionally I have sticky dough which sticks to the sides and sticks to my hands. I just oil my hands and reach in and pull it away. I don't think oiling the pan prior to putting your ingredients in would work but maybe.

Side note: I am not shaping the dough as we have been taught to do. The first time the dough turned out to be somewhat sticky, just made sure all of the air was out and put it in the pan and poked it till it was evenly spread in the pan. It seems to fill out during the rising. Crazy or lazy me doesn't want to take the time to get a board and flour out to work it so I can shape the dough in the usual fashion. Anyway, I found it works itself out. wha..lah, a new way to shape bread!

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 02-19-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I love to use my bread machine for mixing and the first rise. Will try this recipe as soon as I buy fresh yeast. Just looked and mine is out of code by a couple months.
OK, so you if you won't hold me responsible... I will share that I have used yeast that is further outdated than yours. However, if you don't want to risk it totally being flat bread you could look it up to find how you test yeast. I buy the little jar and keep it in the fridge. Have on occasion left it sitting on the counter and it still worked. But, most definitely have used the foil packets that are way past date and it was fine.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Yummy...Thanks for sharing...
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Without heating my oven to warm it took all day to thaw the frozen raisin bread dough and for it to rise. Next time I will heat the oven to warm, turn it off and let it thaw and rise. I might have to turn that oven setting on for a few minutes now and then. My bread cooked up just fine and we had our 1 piece of toast for dessert tonight. Yummyyy!