Windows 8 Is Frustrating!!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 AM

I took mine back to the local Office Depot and the tech added a toolbar for me -- love my toolbar.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 AM

I thought I was the only one who hates Windows 8! By trying to be more like the iPhone and Mac, they've totally screwed it up!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I purchased a new computer in October and was told that most new computers come with Windows 8 and that Windows 8 was designed more for touch screens than for keyboards. However; my sales/service person installed Windows 7 in the computer I purchased and just sent the disks for Windows 8 home with my purchase in case I want/need to update later. Great service person!!!
Bobbielinks did you have to pay for Windows 7???
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 AM

My daughter got a new laptop with Windows 8 the problem she has is it is designed for a touch screen and the lap top dose not have that capability. She is also going nuts with it no she just hates it and wishes she had Windows 7.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Notice, no one really said anything nice about it!!! My FIL's computer died and I had to get him a new one - Windows 8 was all that was out there. So I am trying to keep his running (120miles round trip) and all he wants is to play Solitaire ( for the first time in 25 years of buying computers - this one doesn't come with classic solitaire!?!?WTF?!?!) and check his e-mail and a couple of websites. Okay, he is 100 years old and this was designed for 20 somethings and their children. But I need a new computer and I'm afraid to buy one. My husband has it on a tablet and he likes the finger swipe - but hates the "8"
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM

I have had Windows 8 for exactly a year now. My DH will confirm that I nearly tore my hair out ~~one by one~~ until I went past some learning curve. And things have been calm ever since. I am only half way through reading everyone's posts and I can totally relate and you have made me laugh.

XP was their best operating system and why they messed with I don't know. I haven't downloaded Window 8.1 yet. I have learned quite a few new things just by reading the posts on this thread. I have learned to google my questions about windows 8 and it causes me to move forward... slowly at times but forward nonetheless! That is a good thing... I think

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 02-19-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by linkd View Post
Notice, no one really said anything nice about it!!! My FIL's computer died and I had to get him a new one - Windows 8 was all that was out there. So I am trying to keep his running (120miles round trip) and all he wants is to play Solitaire ( for the first time in 25 years of buying computers - this one doesn't come with classic solitaire!?!?WTF?!?!) and check his e-mail and a couple of websites. Okay, he is 100 years old and this was designed for 20 somethings and their children. But I need a new computer and I'm afraid to buy one. My husband has it on a tablet and he likes the finger swipe - but hates the "8"
I don't have a touch screen and it works fine. If your FIL only wants to do a few things with it that should lessen your learning curve time. Plus you have lots of people on this thread you can PM if you need help. Of course, it might be a little like the somewhat blind leading the blind. Wow, if your FIL is 100 and is still using a computer that is such a blessing.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I went from XP to windows 8 it was painful... not so bad now.
Same with me. Terrible in the beginning, now just fine.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM

A friend of mine who never used computers got a very nice new little tablet with a touch screen and she asked me for help getting started on in knowing I've been using Windows computers since 1997. I all but ran screaming from the room trying to cope with Windows 8. I know eventually I could manage it, but I was certainly no help to her on that one occasion and felt like a complete idiot for even agreeing to try. I totally resent unnecessary changes that don't immediately show themselves to be much better than before. The fact that it's for touch screens doesn't excuse this mess because I use a touch screen on my iPhone and had no particular problem getting started with it and navigating through the Internet and a variety of apps.

Last edited by Rose_P; 02-19-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Yes I have a Windows 8 and I hate it. I had a Vista and I loved it. I don't know why they had to mess up and make a Windows 8, there wasn't anything wrong with Vista or Windows 7. I have heard more complaints on Windows 8 than any other model. I wish they would leave things along or give people a choice of a Windows 7 or 8. Grrrrrrrr