Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is how you add to your stash (or acquire one)! >

This is how you add to your stash (or acquire one)!

This is how you add to your stash (or acquire one)!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 AM

Yes that is how you get a stash. I have been trying to sew mostly from my stash since last year. I believe my stash will outlive me by many years. My problem is that I will be digging in my stash for something for the back of a quilt (I quit buying those too, I piece them) and the next thing I know I have also pulled out and cut another quilt. I am trying to get rid of my UFO's not create more.
My guild had a sew in day last week where we mde 14 quilts of valor. I was telling a friend and she gave me a bag of fabric for backs. I added some to it and we got backs for 8 of them. We are doing ROnald McDonald sew day next month. Someone else gave me a huge bag of fabric when they heard I make donation quilts. It was one of the blue Ikea bags full. I could hardly lift it. My SIL swiped all of the purple. THere was Kaffe fabric and batiks in there. SHe told me to keep it all for my quilts. I took some and added some hopefully it will be enough for the backs.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 AM

I have not been quilting that long so I don't have a huge stash. BUT I have a sister who has been at this 30 some years and she is a bargain hunter. All I need to do is call her with what I am looking for and she will find it in her huge very organized stash. I just call and tell her I need to shop. She never visits without bringing a bin or two in her trunk. I'm blessed.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
AHHHHHHHH a quilters life, we all have memory loss.. and never have just the correct color or amount needed for that next one.. and I have over 3 thousand fabrics..
pw6:
You've counted your fabrics?! I'm amazed! If I need a small amount of something, I can't find, I might paint it.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
A very good bit of my stash has come from #1piecemaker. I have several pieces that I now have two of...forgot I had already gotten it before.
Don't talk to me until you buy the THIRD piece ~ ~ ~
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 AM

Well I am sewwww relieved to discover someone else has trouble matching that 'perfect' shade of ... that you bought last year that matches NOTHING this year!!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but how do you ruler fold your fabric? Thanks for you help in advance.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by fatnsassy View Post
This is going to sound like a dumb question, but how do you ruler fold your fabric? Thanks for you help in advance.
Not a dumb question at all. I use a 6 x 12 ruler, fold my fabric with selvedges together, then fold again. This makes the piece approximately 10 inches wide by however long the fabric is. Place your ruler over the short end and fold until all the fabric is wrapped around the ruler. You can easily tell how much fabric is in each folded piece. Just multiply each edge times 6. There is a great tutorial here on QB -- you will really like ruler folding once you start it.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I sometimes buy on-line, but lately when stashing it away - in the proper colour coordinated box - find I've already got some of it and am doubling up.
Yeah...when that happens, you know you REALLY LIKED that fabric! Ask me how I know...
Old 02-23-2014, 12:28 AM

I don't know how many times I've said, while shopping, something like "if I don't use this for xxx project I'll use it for something eventually". A LOT of my stash was bought with "something eventually" in mind.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Sounds just like me!