Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to make a warmer quilt?? >

how to make a warmer quilt??

how to make a warmer quilt??

Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
I live in New York State and it gets very cold and damp here. Have made several quilts using Hobbs Poly Down and have been completely happy with it. Not expensive, not heavy, very warm and wears very well. Connecting Threads have frequent batting sales. May still have one going on, so check their website perhaps as they carry all Hobbs products.
Does this create the "bearding" on the top of the quilt? I have a cotton quilt with poly batting and it beards...so that's why I'm asking.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Warm and Natural makes a perfect quilt, not too heavy and warm. The one on my bed right now is wonderfully warm, so much so that sometimes I am throwing it off me in the middle of the night. Do not use a blanket, it will be too heavy and difficult to quilt through. Remember you are joining pieces with QAYG, and the weight will make that more difficult.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 AM

I have made some quilts using only fleece as the combined batting/backing. Very warm! And right now some of the stores are having significant sales in order to reduce the amount of bulk on their shelves until next winter. I don't know how that would work with QAYG but it sure does make a warm quilt and reduces the cost of the piece.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 AM

I have bought my wool batting at overstock.com. its not that expensive.
Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
On a budget I have gone to thrift stores and looked for older blankets wool or cotton or some with a ply blend. I was them let them shrink, the condition of the blanket does not matter much because that wont be seen. Some were just a dollar, so that was a great deal. The color was important because dark would not work for me well. I have seen batting wool inexpensive at Overstock.com
Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 AM

I just recently used fleece for my backing/and W&N for the batting. Love it...will do that again.
Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I have made some quilts using only fleece as the combined batting/backing. Very warm! And right now some of the stores are having significant sales in order to reduce the amount of bulk on their shelves until next winter. I don't know how that would work with QAYG but it sure does make a warm quilt and reduces the cost of the piece.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM

Quiltlady, go to an army surplus store and purchase a wool army blanket (usually 5.00) and use that in your quilt. It should provide you with the warmth you have in mind.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I had a heating mattress pad from Kohl's and that ALWAYS kept me warmer than a pile of quilts ever could. When my best friend's husband was cold at night, she got him one and kept it on low so he was comfortable in the last days of his life. Anybody will be snug as a bug in a rug.
As I read the responses and thought about it, that's what I do,too. I have an electric blanket to warm the bed on cold nights. I don't depend on one quilt for warmth, it's generally mostly for appearance. I have an afghan that makes the bed much warmer.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM

unless you are a diabetic.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Do you machine or hand quilt? I am a hand quilter and have wondered how they quilt up, I do know fleece stretches, have you that problem?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM

I like Quilters Dream wool batting. It is very soft, drapes well and is warm. It does not shrink much when washed in cold water. Does not need to be prewashed. But it is a little more expensive.