Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how to make a warmer quilt?? >

how to make a warmer quilt??

how to make a warmer quilt??

Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Default how to make a warmer quilt??

I am making a queen size quilt and will be quilting it FMQ using QAYG in sections.. I have the top done and now need to figure out how to make a warm quilt as it will be going to Minn. I bought warm and natural but this seems so thin, I have never used it before, does it make a warmer quilt? I was also thinking of using for the backing fleece and batting of some kind, but didn't know how that would work using QAYG..and if there would be a big seam and would be hard to join the sections together.

Does anyone know how to make this quilt warmer and still be able to do the Fm quilting with QAYG sections..What kind of batting and backing would you use to make a warm quilt... Thank you
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 AM

i use wool batting and flannel backing.

those quilts are significantly warmer than the cotton/flannel and cotton/cotton quilts.

the wool batts are a dream to work with.

aileen
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM

I think less quilting = warmer quilt because it allows for more "fluff" and fluff = air which = insulation which = warmer. Also, have you ever held a finished quilt up to the light and seen all the little "holes" each machine stitch leaves....don't think those keep you warm !! Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

Wool! You can use a layer of warm & natural, then a layer of wool for extra extra warmth. The wool batt goes against the top. The added benefit is that your quilting will really pop! I've read this combo is often used for show quilts. To me the top is not too heavy with the 2 batts. I quilt with a medium density pattern.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM

stillclock... would I have to wash the batting and backing if I used wool and flannel? also does the wool batting cost a lot?

I really don't have a lot of money right now and was trying to go as cheap as I can and still have a good quilt... I know that fleece is on sale in most places now but didn't know how that would work doing quilt using QAYG Thanks for your advice..
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM

I like the high loft polyester, with not too much quilting. That helps make it warmer. You can use flannel for the backing. Or heavier fabrics like denim would be warmer.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM

I live in New York State and it gets very cold and damp here. Have made several quilts using Hobbs Poly Down and have been completely happy with it. Not expensive, not heavy, very warm and wears very well. Connecting Threads have frequent batting sales. May still have one going on, so check their website perhaps as they carry all Hobbs products.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I had a heating mattress pad from Kohl's and that ALWAYS kept me warmer than a pile of quilts ever could. When my best friend's husband was cold at night, she got him one and kept it on low so he was comfortable in the last days of his life. Anybody will be snug as a bug in a rug.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM

I like wool for warmer quilts. But I have been known to double bat a layer of cotton with a layer of poly. Poly is a much warmer fiber than cotton. One benefit from using a poly batting is there is no shrinkage... and they take much less time to dry . When I still want that crinkle antique look .. I use the double bat method... the cotton will shrink.. and that layer of poly will puff up the crinkles a bit and makes for a warm quilt.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I've hand quilted all of my quilts except about 6 of them (well over 300).
they all seemwarm to me. I use a very think poly batt, we even sweat at night.
I live on Long Island NY, it's been frigid here, and that's all we sleep under.
maybe b/c the hand quilting allows for more space, it's warmer?