Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sending your quilt to a LAQ >

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Old 03-13-2014, 07:36 AM

My longarmer took 8 months to get my quilt done. She is very cheap and busy so I just have to be patient.
Only charges 45 dollars and she binds it. Not show quality quilting but good enough for me.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I would have asked after the 2 weeks how far along she was on my quilt. If the answer was the reasons she gave you I would have asked what the approximate date could be expected. If it wasn't going to work, then ask her to send it back and find some one else.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 AM

I think I would have gotten a clearer idea of where my quilt was in the queue when I got a time estimate. But if she told you 2 weeks and she hasn't started it, I would request it back.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM

I can understand checking on it after a week, if she told you she'd give you an estimate after she saw it but you haven't seen it back yet. I would be less than pleased that two weeks later, she didn't let you know she was behind until you had written her twice.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Why the hurry?
Sandy
Old 03-14-2014, 12:11 AM

The local Laq in my area has a waiting list of months. When you go to the shop she shows you her list and where you will go, explains exactly what she would like to receive from you and what she offers. Also gives you a choice of a pentagram and the cost. So before you leave quilt you are fully aware of the situation.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 AM

I haven't had that trouble with my LAQ but I'd at least wait a few days over the 2 week time frame she gave. Like it's been said, life does happen and folks do get sick.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:12 AM

I've had some quilts take three months, but I've known that from the start. I usually get a ball park figure for amount to be charged. It also depends on the batting. Some LAQ want you to send the batting, others want to use their own choice. I usually have a discussion about color of thread and pattern. It is always faster to quilt your own. I just like making the tops and not worry about the quilting!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 AM

I'd find someone else. Communication is important, too. TK Quilting in Manistee, MI is very good. Took me just a week to get my last one back. She can do more than one at a time as she has several LA machines. She has a web site: www.tkquilting.com/‎
Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Communication is the key when mailing quilts to be quilted!

Before quilters mail quilts to me, we communicate about deadlines, size, desired quilting and price range. When it gets here, I verify everything, make quilting suggestions and communicate with the quilter. Quilts are returned (with tracking, insurance and signature required) when promised or before!

I do not have quilts here waiting in line to be quilted. They arrive, they're quilted, and they're returned. I would not want someone having my quilt at their place for months...without it being worked on. I do not want other quilters quilts here waiting either.

Please let us know how this turns out.

Nan - Indiana