Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sending your quilt to a LAQ >

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Old 03-14-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
I mailed the quilt to her; I have not spoken to her in person. The reason I emailed her after a week was because I asked her to let me know after seeing the quilt top what she had for ideas on the design and how much she would be charging. I still don't know how much she would charge me for it. I am getting the run around.
With this added information, I believe my next move would be to ask that she return the top to me, unquilted. I'd then find someone else to do it. It's not the time it's taking so much as it is the lack of communication and what appears to you to be stalling. You're clearly uncomfortable so I think it's time to retrieve your quilt top and go another way. I understand completely, by the way; something you've worked hard on, you get anxious about, especially if you don't know this quilter and haven't had work done by her before.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Yeah, I've had that experience, too. My LAQer generally is pretty good with estimating time, but the last quilt I took in,she said would take about 3 weeks. That was in the middle of August. I got it back the first week of NOVEMEBER! Needless to say, I was peeved.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 AM

I would ask her to send it back. If you are at the top of the list, the later ones that she plans to do before yours is very rude in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:45 AM

I am a longarm quilter. I never promise a quilt in 2 weeks. I am self employed. I get sick or my children and GG need something. Life happens. You said you sent it to her. She might not even have the quilt in a week. Most of my clients bring there quilts and say whatever you want to do and they KNOW what I charge before they leave it. I do have a few people mail their quilts but they also know my work. In my area there are LA who will have a quilt up to 2 years before getting the quilt done. If you had a deadline you need to inform the quilter in advance.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
I am a longarm quilter. I never promise a quilt in 2 weeks. I am self employed. I get sick or my children and GG need something. Life happens. You said you sent it to her. She might not even have the quilt in a week. Most of my clients bring there quilts and say whatever you want to do and they KNOW what I charge before they leave it. I do have a few people mail their quilts but they also know my work. In my area there are LA who will have a quilt up to 2 years before getting the quilt done. If you had a deadline you need to inform the quilter in advance.

I would NEVER leave my quilt with a LA for two years. That's just ridiculous, I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but that would be absolutely unacceptable.

I think the primary problem with this particular situation, at least for me, would be that the LA'er said she would be in contact in a certain time. That time frame has passed, twice, with no word from her. I don't know anyone who wouldn't be unhappy about that. The quilt may not have been done in that time, but there is little excuse for a lack of communication.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Regardless of whether your expectations are too high or hers are too low you seem to have gotten off to a rocky start with her. Unless you have seen her work and just absolutely have to have her do it I think I would ask for my quilt back and start over.

In regards to a reservation date, you need to treat this just like when you take your car in for service. You ask for the first date available and if you know that you will have your quilt ready and can have it to her by then accept it and then 2 week time frame you got starts from your Scheduled Date. In quilting you can't really say just pencil me in - what happens if I pencil you in for where your quilt would fall in my queue right now when you ask and that date is April 5th and you don't have to me by then. You have to be requeue'd, you can't expect that everything else would be moved around (unless you worked with her and she was ok with that) and then have yours go first in the list when you do get it to her. I don't understand how that would work because she could have 5 customers ask to be penciled in and then have them brought all at the same time and everyone expect to have their quilts back in 2 week.

I think that a lot of the people who are saying they have waited months, really aren't waiting months after the promised date. I can have an appointment/reservation for June 5th the first available date, but if I get it to her in March and get it back say June 19th - yes she has had my quilt for say 4 months BUT that was because I got it to her early so I could get it out of my house. In reality that june 19th delivery date is 2 weeks.

I know I am rambling but just think that some are misunderstanding how long you would have to leave your quilt at the LA.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:53 AM

Good luck getting the quilt in a timely manner. A friend of mine had dining room chairs which she sent to a refinisher and 25 years later when she died, he still had not touched them!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I would ask her to send it back. If you are at the top of the list, the later ones that she plans to do before yours is very rude in my opinion.
I was thinking the same thing. Wondering if she put all the quilts to be entered in a show ahead of yours. If so, I'd be furious. If it were me, I'd get my quilt back from her right away and be done with her.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 AM

I would get my quilt back and be done with her. There are TOO many other LA's out there. I would find a new one to do my quilts for sure.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 AM

My LA told me a price then charged me more when I went to pick it up. I learned from that. Now I tell everyone he cheated me. Maybe some day soon I will get over it. I give my son his quilt and he knows I love him. That is what counts. Good luck getting this settled.