Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need opinions on my wallhanging >

I need opinions on my wallhanging

I need opinions on my wallhanging

Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

You have done a very beautiful job. My opinion is as the other towards the quilting but I wouldn't put a border on it. Might bind it with black. Backing should depend on the thread colors you will use. Good Luck!!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 AM

I, too, will subscribe to this thread. I can't wait to see more pics as your project progresses. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 AM

I agree with the others, I wouldn't add anything else, it is so beautiful as it is, I would be afraid the black "leading" would especially distract from the shading around the cross.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:39 AM
pal

Very beautiful. I would purchase 1/8" black satin ribbon (or whatever dimension you plan on using) and audition it before you zig zag. It is so striking now, the black may destroy the serenity of the piece. On the other hand, perhaps when you hang it up with the black ribbon on it you may find that it needs the seperation of the black. Wonderful worki!!!!
Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 AM

nice & colorful wallhanging & I think there's already plenty of suggestions...me thinks it will look great whatever you choose!
Old 03-17-2014, 06:29 AM

I would not add the black. The cross should be bright white on white and if you can put a little extra batting behind it to give it a three dimensional look without making it too heavy for the background, that would be good. This is a lovely wall hanging and one that I, as an ordained person, would have loved to receive. froggyintexas
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I agree with QuiltE also. Your piece is a beauty. Perhaps try a black or gray around the cross only-to give it more definition. Just a thought. A dark purple border would be great, and anything goes for the back.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Default Beautiful design

Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
Your Shining Cross stained glass is just beautiful. I have one suggestion: Put your Words in Greek Letters. Or, in Latin. I'm assuming that a Seminarian will study a bit of the original languages, and it will add subtlty to his wall hanging. If you worked the cross and the words to look like Stained Glass, the effect would be even stronger. I like your idea of black threads between the colors. You may want to make a mini sample and work your zig zag black threads first, to see if the effect is what you really want. As for a border, you might want to continue the stained glass effect, whatever colors you choose. Do show us a final photo, I'm going to "follow" (subscribe) to this post, just to make sure I don't miss it!
If you do a sample and discover that the black 'leading' on the stained glass is causing a great deal of puckering, you might consider the prepared tape 'leading' as suggested by another writer. It requires a great deal less stitching. I love the leading idea between rays, at least, and agree with this writer that Latin, or Greek, although Greek's a bit more challenging, would be interesting and subtle. Continuing the colors into the border is an interesting idea, too, and the border could be separated with a black 'leading' line which would make the whole piece come together nicely. Before quilting, I worked in stained glass rather extensively so I know this is going to be beautiful---please post the finished product!
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 AM

It is just beautiful.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

If you are appliqueing the cross onto the pieced background, I would suggest that you fusible to put 2 pieces of white together so that there would be no colors coming through (I speak from experience on this). As others have suggested here, I might audition 1/4" fusible seam binding to see if it might be too much, or whether a very narrow zig-zag stitch in black rayon thread might work. Not to be confusing, but I would add a narrow 3" purple border, or use none at all, as your quilt is fantastic. I'm sure that he will greatly appreciate this gift and will keep it with him always.