Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs? >

Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Do you wash your material before using? Even Jelly rolls & Charm packs?

Old 03-20-2014, 05:18 AM

I always prewash...period. I have had bleeding fabric that I had to treat with retayne, I have had flannel that pilled up so bad it wasn't usable, and I have had fabrics that shrank so bad that durung the first wash after construction they pulled loose from the seam. I take no chances anymore...it just isn't worth the time or money to ruin a quilt the first time you wash it. I see posts at least once a month from quilters who didn't prewash and have problems.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I just finished a kit I purchased a few years ago, but did not pre-wash the fabrics. Generally though, I pre-wash all my fabric yardage and fat quarters, but not the smaller precuts. I have in the past but the precuts can be messy and tangled, so I don't pre-wash them, but I admit I seldom use precuts, mainly yardage and fat quarters. I've found that all fabrics do not shrink the same (even if it's very minimal shrinkage), and I want to know that before I make the quilt.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 AM

To wash the pre-cuts, I try to soak them in a basin with a gentle liquid soap, like "Woolite" or the store-brand like "Cool Wash". I give them gentle squeeze, or pat them, creating suds. If I have Reds or Dark Blues, or Blacks, those get soaked separately.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:55 AM

I am now washing all yardage after ziz zaging edges. I didn't and ended up throwing out a couple of finished items due to bleeding in lighter colors.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM

I prewash now due to a bandana print (red) that made a mess out of my blue and white in the quilt. Three washings did not fade the bleeding red. I don't usually use pre cuts because of them being a pain to pre wash. I use the color catchers now and even after prewashing, occasionally I will have bleeding with dark colors. I don't press the fabric until I'm ready to use it, just fold it right out of the dryer. Also, I sometimes surge the edges to prevent the strings.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:29 AM

This topic has been covered over and over again. Check the history and you'll find all the opinions you'll ever need.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 AM

I don't wash the fabrics.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM

I sometimes wash, sometimes not, depending on the cuts I'll be doing. Sometimes the stiffness of the manufacturer's sizing really helps with cutting . I had some large pieces ( 3 yards plus each) to wash this week, and really wanted to minimize fraying, so I washed them in some king size cotton pillow cases closed with rubber bands. I put a color catcher in and it worked great! Washed beautifully, very minimal fraying, and got a couple nice clean pillow,cases as a bonus : ). My first quilt was for my granddaughter, in greens and purples and I did not prewash. When I washed it for her the first time, I used a couple color catchers and the quilt looked awesome...the shrinkage gave it a lovely aged look. Since then it has not shrunk any more that I can see despite several cold water washes, and she really loves it.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
This is pretty much how I do it. So far nothing has caused me a problem. I was watching Jenny Doan on Fons and Porter yesterday and for what it's worth, and I know it won't change anybody's mind, she said she never pre washes, that with the new fabrics it isn't necessary. Of course if you are allergic, or have other issues, or preferences, just keep doing what you are doing.
Well, she may think that's true, but I just bought some burgundy fabric AND I prewashed it, and my color catchers came out pink! It went back in the washer until there were no more pink color catchers. I wasn't will ing to give up on this beautiful fabric!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
Well, she may think that's true, but I just bought some burgundy fabric AND I prewashed it, and my color catchers came out pink! It went back in the washer until there were no more pink color catchers. I wasn't will ing to give up on this beautiful fabric!
yes, indeed. As I said, I didn't think I would change anyone's mind. I'm going to continue not to prewash until I get in trouble. I use color catchers and I like the crinkled look.