Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wavy borders - need suggestions for long arm quilting >

Wavy borders - need suggestions for long arm quilting

Wavy borders - need suggestions for long arm quilting

Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Wavy borders - need suggestions for long arm quilting

Wow, I just loaded up my first really challenging customer quilts. The borders are almost ruffled they are so oversized What would you do with this? I figure I can: 1) do my best to quilt the puffiness out of them. But the batting is very low loft so there really isn't anywhere to hide the poof 2) call her and suggest she redo the borders (or offer to do them myself, for a charge) 3) just fix them and don't say anything.

Help! What would you do. Or, if you don't long arm quilt for others, what would you like your longarmer to do in a situation like this?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM

I would call her and have her make the call.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 AM

If you are able to "quilt out the ruffles" then the person will not know how difficult it is. They will just see what a good job you were able to do-they don't learn or improve for the next quilt. Have her/him come and look at the quilt while you have it loaded on the frame. They will then easily see the problem. Looking at the quilt top off the frame usually doesn't show the problem as well. Explain or show how to correct the borders and then let the person decide if they will do it or let you. Its better if they do and learn to do it right.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:40 AM

I agree with suebee, she should be aware of the problem and make it her decision.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:41 AM

I agree with Suebee. It's her quilt, so she needs to make the decision.

I do occasionally have to modify a charity quilt I'm quilting without asking for permission, but that's because I don't know who made the top in the first place.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Good advice from suebee and greensleeves. Otherwise you'll keep seeing the same problem with his/her quilts in the future. And if it were my quilt I'd want to know how to avoid this.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I would not fix unless the quilter OKAYS it, and then make sure you charge $10 an hour, including the time it takes to rip, sew and re-press the top!
If she wants you to just do 'the best you can' I would charge extra. It's going to take you additional time to manipulate the fullness.
If you have any, I would add a layer of a fluffier batting just on the borders, and quilt a piano key easing the fullness as you go.

Just located this video. The woman is a genius!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHsBYa36W0

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 03-23-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 AM

I am a new quilter and have not sent a quilt to a long arm quilter yet.

I maybe sending one next month.

I would greatly appreciate being called, shown the problem and have the options (including costs) explained to me.

I also do not think $10.00 a hour is enough to pay a skilled artisan for correcting my work. I truly think we undervalue our work and the work of others.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 AM

I agree with the piecer should be informed and make the decision on which option is the one she wants to pursue.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
Good advice from suebee and greensleeves. Otherwise you'll keep seeing the same problem with his/her quilts in the future. ............
..........and too, by not saying anything, next thing is that person may not take responsibility and will be telling others how poor of a job that her LAQ did with her quilt! Not saying she won't say that later ... but at least you have done your part to inform her.

How she accepts/rejects what you have to say may affect your future business with her and others.
You will have been honest and open and done the best you can at this stage.