Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long arm Supplies >

Long arm Supplies

Long arm Supplies

Old 03-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Long arm Supplies

When getting a long arm what else do you need other than the machine to quilt?
I just want to make sure I get all the supplies that are necessary.

Thanks,
Yaell
Old 03-26-2014, 01:58 PM

I'll be watching this thread as my longarm will be here in a few weeks and I was wondering the same thing.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Depends on your own needs and uses. Space is the very primary concern. Design you quilting area to get the most from it. Planning makes it worth it all.

The basics from my point of view are:
- Good leaders
- Red Snappers for top and bottom, but not for sides as they are too hard for me to use. I made my own side pieces to attach my own clamps to
- A supply of thread for a LA. I buy as I need it.
- Extra bobbins
- Corsage pins , I bought 100 of them online, to anchor my side leaders [?]
- I also got the micro handles as they are easier for me to use.
- Pantographs, if you want them.
- LA rulers if you want to use them. I was advised to buy only 1 at a time to see if I really like using them. I don't, so it was good advise.
- A neck lanyard to hold my scissors for cutting threads and the scissors. I prefer the blunted/rounded end scissors so I don't accidentally cut my quilt fabric.
- A long tape measure and a notebook. I measure my quilts and then keep a record of the size and the patterns I use.
- A phone camera or a camera to record what I've done.

I also bought some fabric and batting to make extra quilt sandwiches for practice. You can then cut this up into totes, placemats or whatever when you are finished. I used to buy my batting in large quantities and it was well worth it.

Is it computerized? If so do you want to get more patterns, which are easily available on the net to download.

Time for at least 100 hours of practice. If possible take lessons as soon as possible, even before purchasing.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Also, wrist pin cushion. AWESOME for use while pinning the quilt to the leaders.

Favorite longarm suppliers:

http://www.heartbeatquilting.com, for batting, Signature thread. (Call them. Their web site doesn't accurately calculate shipping charges).
Fil-tec: Sell Glide thread (see Karen McTavish) http://www.bobbincentral.com/
Old 03-26-2014, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Leaders.
Extra bobbins.
I also have an alternate bobbin case, one 'tuned' to 40 weight thread and one for 70 wt. This way I don't have to mess with that pesky little screw when I switch thread weights.
I also have a stand alone bobbin winder. Pricey, but I think it's worth it. this is the one I got:
http://fancyquilt.com/store/viewitem...%20productid=0
Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Good supply of needles. I also like I believe its called sewers aid (which is an oil you put on your thread ) it only takes a few drops
Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Look at all the pro's and con's of different types of leaders. Your frame may or may not come with leaders. Most new machines do come with leaders, but if you are purchasing a used frame - it may not have leaders, or as the case of the one I purchased - the leaders were old and needed to be replaced.

Regular leaders: you have to pin the quilt backing to the leader.
Zippered leaders: Each leader end has 1/2 of a zipper on it. You then take a second full zipper and sew/baste/pin it to the top and bottom edge of your quilt backing. You can then zip the quilt backing onto the leaders.
Red Snapper (or similar) leaders: The leaders have gadgets on them that "snap" onto the quilt backing.

Look at all the options, video's and reviews. I decided to make a set of leaders using pillow ticking (because it has straight of grain printed stripes making "straight" easy!), and added zippers to them.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the Red Snappers, but I love the Red-E-Edge side clamps even more (from the same supplier, Renae Haddadin). An extra bobbin case is great, because you may drop and damage the first one and will need a replacement without waiting. Lots of bobbins, thread (but don't buy a ton of any one brand until you know that you and your machine like it), extra needles. I listen to books on tape while I quilt or sew, so a portable CD player was necessary for me. Machine oil with the long flexible plastic spout, canned air, cloths to clean the rails and wheels (I also use alcohol for cleaning them). I use lots of thread socks too. And some sort of storage for the thread cones and half-filled bobbins.

Have fun with your new "toy."
Old 03-26-2014, 04:08 PM

I love my leadergrips. You may want to get some pantographs to learn on. Then rulers later. I always have an extra bobbin case, and extra parts which need periodic replacing (switches, springs, O rings, etc.). You may want to buy some instructional videos or dvd's. You'll need a long vinyl tape measure, cone threads in various colors (make sure your machine likes the brand before buying many cones), and definitely get a Longarm Centering Tape (pink tape measure) to keep your quilts straight and square.

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 03-26-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 AM

For the most part - I agree with everyone else. I guess I would say there is a short list of must haves and an unending list of would be nice (lol).

My short list is lots of extra bobbins(my machine takes L size bobbins and I started with 12 which was not enough for me), thread (I too buy as needed), side grips/clamps and fabric to play with. I also purchased rulers and wish that I had waited - as after I was comfortable with the machine I purchased different ones from what I had. Also, if you are any where near a quilting show with classes it is an invaluable resource. Finally - several pieces of fabric (busy print and coordinating solids - i explain below).

A couple of books that were recommended to me were

ABCs of Longarm Quilting by Patricia C Barry
The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting by Linda Taylor

Both are excellent - the ABC one had some great beginner tips and a few easy projects. As my machine is not computer controlled - one of the best beginning tips I found in it was use a very busy print for the backing and a coordinating solid for the top. You can easily see the stitches on the plain - and even if your free motion is not perfect, the busy print hides the discrepancies. I did several of these and made sewing projects from the quilted pieces. This bag was the first project and the first piece of fabric I quilted. The pattern and directions were in the ABC book.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ag-t42132.html

The Linda Taylor one has lots of inspiring pictures as well as a section with full size designs to copy.

Good Luck!!