Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a little discouraged >

a little discouraged

a little discouraged

Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 AM

Maybe you were more enthusiastic about embroidery then and it showed in your stitches. I know I went through a phase where I was very passionate about embroidery, and now I'm more so-so about it. I'm sure I did better work then than I do now...and we are only talking a matter of a year or two!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Don't worry about perfection, just be glad you can still do it. I could do a lot of things better when I was younger, same for most people.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dotha View Post
Cleaning today I found some embroidery that I did 10 years or so ago. I did such better work back then. I don't know if it is my eyes are worse, my hands are shaky or what is going on. My work then was so nice. Now, not so much.
We are ALL getting older by the day. Be proud of the quilt you made that you are using for your avatar. I use to win lots of ribbons for my quilts but being disable now, I am still happy to be doing what I can. Be happy with what you have NOW. Don't look back, just look ahead !! XOXOXO
Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Thank you all for your encouragement. I really have done a lot of embroidery that I am really excited about so that can't be the problem. I should be all practiced by now. I have had these glasses for 18 months and never very happy with them so I have ordered new ones. I have a wonderful new OTT light with a magnifying glass but it does not 'fit' to put between my work and the light. I do remember that I had a magnifier light when I did this piece. The work is so fine and nice. I am doing the Crabapple Hill Gingerbread Village. Also a Crabapple Hill Dresden plate piece that is embroidery...both are combos of quilting, piecing and embroidery.

Also, as I looked though books in my cleaning I saw stem stitch instructions showing the thread on top of the needle but all my new books say the thread is at the bottom of the needle.

I am hoping that my kids and grandkids will say, "Oh, Nana (Mom) did not do the best work but we sure did love all that she did."

I am shaky these days. Looking forward to my new specs. Hope they help me.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Hey Jingle, I know you're right. I used to do a lot of stuff that I can't now do. Dirt hides now and I can't find it. Back then I looked until I found it. LOL Now my leg muscles get sore and I haven't done ANYTHING!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Getting old ain't for sissies! Celebrate what you have accomplished in the past AND what is in your future. Do what brings you JOY. Life is too short to worry about what you can't do so focus on what you can. Your worst work may be better than most people's best work. It is most likely WAY better than anything than I can do right now, but that is OK! {{{{HUGS}}}}
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 AM

You might be surprised about what a new pair of glasses will do. I had a horrible year or two of not seeing well closeup but eye doctor had said I would never be 20-20 again...I went to a new opthalmologist and a new optician - the optician said that my insurance paid only for cheap glasses so most of my close-up prescription got sanded off before shipping. My opthalmologist corrected my bad astigmatism which the other doctor never tried to correct (it might make me dizzy - oh, dear!) and I see a lot better. I was surprised to learn that my handwriting had deteriorated and that I had made numerical errors reading and typing, and not noticed spelling errors due to typos.

So, short story - give yourself a break and work on your eyes and your light source! good luck!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

It might be your glasses are not as helpful as they could be.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Keep doing your embroidery if it brings you joy. I hand quilt and when I get out of practice, it sure shows in my stitches for quite awhile. If you have progressive lenses in your glasses, perhaps you just need an adjustment in your frames. If your hands are shaky, keep your elbows supported with firm pillows.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:12 PM

I used to love handwork, that was before arthritis....got myself an embroidery machine and I still get to have beautiful embroidery in my quilts when I want, gotta love some of the new technology!!!!