Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine? >

PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine?

PQ1500S Quilting/Sewing Machine?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 AM

I've had mine about 12 yrs, bought it shortly after that model came out and still love it! I've done miles of FMQ. I've found that using all 3 holes on the threading thingy and using stretch needles makes it easy.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

My machine is about the same age as yours Marie. If I use the three hole bar my thread will break even if I loosen the tension to almost 0. I have to use just the first hole as a guide and that gives me a perfect stitch tension. I had the dealer test it and he said the three holes were for specialty thread that needed extra tension and all three shouldn't be used for regular sewing thread. But I believe doing what works. LOL. I use Superior Titanium coated needles usually size 90/14 for all but the thinnest threads.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
Thanks for all this info this morning, ladies. I will be going to Texas this week to give beginning sewing lessons to three of my granddaughters, and a friend who loves my quilting and wants to learn at least how to piece one. I am sure they will all want suggestions on what machine to buy if they decide they want to get serious with this. None of them would pay $Ks for a sewing machine, so I am thinking this Brother might be a good idea for them. Can you get it at Walmart? I am sure that will be their first question when I suggest one. I am taking two machines with me--one of my FWs, and a Singer that I bought at Walmart on sale. The FW will be WITH ME, and if the baggage people break the Singer, it cost me $350, you know.....I'll be watching this post all this week until I get ready to fly, so any suggestions you ladies have for me, come on down.
I got mine at an allbrands store for 599.00 plus tax. When I was researching for a quilting machine with a larger throat than the brothers I have I came across this one on Amazon same price. I decided to by locally. The reviews I read on line were all good just like u hear on this forum.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 PM

Hey, erindipity How are you doing with your machine. I've got my stitches right at last and I really like how easy I can manuiver the fabric around,I also like the pin feed. I see where it's going to take some practicing on keeping my stitches consistent.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Is anyone using the Brother 1500S on a quilting frame? If so, what kind? Has anyone used a SuperQuilter Proflex? I know someone selling the two as a set. She is upgrading to a computerized machine that is being sold with a frame. I really want to quilt my own quilts but can't afford a long arm.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:36 AM

The machine is not computerized per se, but it is electronic. I was looking for a particular foot and came across the part number for the electronic control panel - If I recall it was around 250.00. Though not a true mechanical it is still a darn fine sewing machine.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM

When I purchased my 1500S there was a frame in the store , the sales clerk told me I could put it on this frame it was juki brand.

Last edited by Kl60; 03-27-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 PM

I meant to ask you why wouldn't you quilt your quilt on the 1500S?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:38 AM

Chris,
I have mine on a frame. It is not a fancy frame. Just a old table top version that is attached to s folding table. It works great for what i do. I can quilt approx. 72 x 90, and that is as big as i can get on it. Love it tho, and glad i have it. Hope that helps
Wendy

Originally Posted by L8quilter View Post
Is anyone using the Brother 1500S on a quilting frame? If so, what kind? Has anyone used a SuperQuilter Proflex? I know someone selling the two as a set. She is upgrading to a computerized machine that is being sold with a frame. I really want to quilt my own quilts but can't afford a long arm.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Wendy, It sounds like you have a set-up similar to what I have. I have not done a lot with mine yet. May I ask what kind of designs you do on yours? Any tips you can share? I know we are limited by the throat space. Do you do narrow pantos or freehand?