Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members? >

Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members?

Does your quilt guild do anything to help integrate new members?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:17 AM

Please feel free to state what you want from the Quilt Club/Guild when you attend. Raise your hand and tell them you would like a mentor/quilting pal, and what would cause you to join the guild. Most of all, be willing to participate. Ask questions, make suggestions, use the library if they have one. People do tend to stick to the friends they are comfortable with but if you ask, they will usually take you in and give you the help/fellowship you need. We cannot read your mind. Our guild meets monthly and show and tell is a big thing for ideas and assistance. We have very simple treats, a good library, and help is available if we know what you want. There is also a group that meets two Wednesday afternoons a month and they make charity quilts. This is a great place for newbies to get started. It's free and your attendance is appreciated. Also a good place where there are fewer people so it's easier to get acquainted with others. Don't give up. A good guild is a wonderful place!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
This is why I don't belong to a guild now. I tried so hard to get to know members in the guild I belonged to, but they wanted to keep to their tight groups. A newcomer was not welcome. I find it sad that we all were there for the same reason, but the longstanding members wanted nothing to do with new guild members. I even went on 2 trips with them, and at the next meeting, it was like they had never seen me before.
I had the same experience. Now I quilt by myself.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:50 AM

I belong to two groups of ladies, three if you count the group I started at church for new sewers/quilters.
One group is a group where there are no dues and meets in a town community park center. Everyone/anyone
is welcome to come. They are a wonderful group of ladies and yes, some are clicky. However, they are friendly
to newcomers as well. This group ranges from only 20 to up to 40 on Thursdays. They do all kinds of sewing and
handwork and it is interesting what they do. They also help show anyone how to if they ask. The other group is more of a guild and it is great. Besides one monthly meeting we have "off Tuesdays" where sometimes we have a learning demonstration for all interested or if you just want to come visit and sew that is fine too. Some bring machines and sew and others hand sew. Only can have 62 in our group as that is the largest the room will hold. So we have a long
waiting list for others wanting to join. Both are great groups. The one at church ranges from 10-22 ladies or young
people wanting to sew. Had an 8 year old boy who learned and made a pillow/quilt covered for himself. We just have a fun time together and make quilts for a children's nutrition center in Guatemala, baby quilts for nursery, walker bags, and care quilts. You could start a group yourself with just one other person and add when you find someone else wanting to learn/join or check into community centers or churches. Bet you'll find a happy solution.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 AM

[QUOTE=Sandygirl;6666816]You admitted to being content just attending and not getting involved. Just sayin'.

It is up to You to take the steps of getting to know others

sandy[/QUOTE

I was was lucky enough to have a friend to go with to my first QG meetings. I quickly realized that the way to meet people and feel like I belonged was to volunteer to be a helper in one of the guild offices. I started as a library helper and over time became guild president. It is a step toward meeting people in the guild and the friendships follow. Our guild also has small sewing groups in different areas of the city and is a good way to meet people in a smaller setting. Sometimes you have to put yourself out there and great things happen. Don't give up, volunteer as a helper and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post

For me, I'm waiting until AQS or other similar organization offers a discount on membership so I can get a JoAnn's discount card. And I'll probably continue to steer clear from joining a guild.
Go on line to JoAnn's site and get a card. You can put down any group name and it's accepted.
I got my first one from Project Linus and now a few years later still put that on my card. No questions asked. I do get my supplies for PL quilts at JoAnn's.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Guess I am ok by just working at home on my own and reading the daily board. I tried being part of a church group but since I was still working full time they weren't interested in what few hours I could join them. gave up no more groups for me.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:02 AM

I joined 2 guilds and 3 Bees all by myself. One guild has 20 members and all very friendly. The other has 200+ - very cliquey, but that is OK. As a new quilter,I go for the classes and the lectures. The bees I joined are better. All helpful, friendly, and full of laughter. We make charity quilts, help each other with placement, bindings, etc. Maybe size makes the difference? I, too, am not a joiner or volunteer to the cliquey group - never felt comfortable with them. Keep looking - maybe your church has a group, look for a quilts of valor or project Linus group.

I , too, was on a tour where we had to change seats -- we all enjoyed it. Great for us shy ones. Maybe the guilds should take note and also have us change seats like suggested above!

My mom used to tell me about her Senior center group and how hard it was for newcomers as there were so many cliques. When I asked why SHE didn't ask a newcomer to join her group she could never come up with an answer.
It is a sad commentary for all of us.

Last edited by Pete; 04-10-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 AM

the guild I belong to has 180 something members now. but when we get a new member if they aren't with someone that is already a member we assign them a buddy. and give them a new member guide. So they know what is going on.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I used to belong to a rather large quilt guild in NH, I was fortunate to have a friend introduce me to some of the other members. There were some members who were very friendly, noticing that I was a newbie and encouraged me to bring quilts for show and tell, sign up for classes held after a guest lecturer; where I learned a lot of new skills. That said, when I became President a few years later, the question of welcoming newcomers came up several times. We formed a group of "greeters" who would take turns at each meeting to welcome a newcomer, sit with them, introduce them to other guild members, etc., and that seemed to work. There were still the small "groups" of people who always sat together, and who were not as friendly as other members, but I think you will have that wherever you go. I do believe that our welcoming committee members made a difference to at least a few people, and I know that there are almost double the number of members when I was President for 2 years.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Yep, I have been there and done that, too! Personally, I think they should be called Quilt Cliques! I've ranted about my experience before, so won't do it again, but I so totally agree with those who have had bad experiences with guilds.

And Sandygirl, you can say it is up to the new member to get to know others ... well, when you go time after time after time, try to speak to people, try to integrate yourself with the group, etc. and still feel unwelcome ... trust me, these cliques are tighter than they were in high school! I've always been outgoing, quick to volunteer time and money, but trying to break into some guilds is like trying to break into Fort Knox!

I'll get off my box now.

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
I left a group like the ones you all have described. Everyone had their own friends, and when I was assigned to a committee, the other members took it over completely, any of their ideas and suggestions were applauded, while mine were ignored.

I will think long and hard before I join another.