Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longterm Stash storage >

Longterm Stash storage

Longterm Stash storage

Old 04-16-2014, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I stored my fabric for years while I was doing Travel Nursing....I put moth balls in the containers.....I had to air the fabric out of the containers later...No problem with storage...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 AM

MagPieQuilts - where are you going in your RV? You could just bring it all to my house and I'll keep an eye on it for you (wink!)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 AM

When I put my home on the market I decluttered the house beforehand which meant my entire sewing room went into storage. Being in Florida with humidity, bugs and hurricanes I wanted to be sure my fabric was safe so put them all into the plastic totes. I never dreamed it would take 3 years to sell the house and then another 9 months to find another home, remodel, etc. You know the drill. The totes got damaged with the move (so much for professionals) but the fabric was not damaged. When I finally took my fabrics out of their totes, they were just fine. In fact just pulled fabric out of another tote that's been sitting under the quilt frame for lack of shelf space. This fabric was also fine. So this fabric has been in a tote for 7 years. Now I don't recommend leaving it in plastic for that long but it worked out okay for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM

no matter what the storage place says, I would leave a bit of rodent control around the opening. Also, one of the best things for long term storage for other pests are dryer sheets. The cheapest ones from a discount store are fine. We put one in with sleeping bags for winter storage or when we pack away our winter clothing for the summer. They keep away the small pests (bugs) and stop that musky storage smell. I put them in the container (or on the shelf) but not touching the fabric.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM

I would drill a few tiny holes in the sides of the plastic tubs, up near the top. Air can circulate then and the fabric can breathe. I have stored 12 bins on my back porch, covered, for the last 12 years and no problems. You just don't want light to penetrate through the covering and fade your fabric.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM

I live in a small house and have had to store most of my fabric in a good-quality, weather-tight shed my husband built. It's been there about 5 years now. I should add that we are in New England, where winters are tough and summers are hot and sometimes humid. Some is in plastic bins and there has been no problem. Most of it is in cardboard Banker's boxes and a clean garbage bag surrounds that and is sealed tightly. They are on shelves. I have had no trouble with either category. I also have some donated fabric in open boxes on shelves and from time to time I find a dead bug, but that's about it. No light gets into the shed unless I open the door.

I think your fabric will be fine.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Just make sure that everything is nice and dry before you store it and it should be okay for a year. The worst case is you'll have to rewash some of it to get the musty smell out. I've had to wash some of mine after years and years, and it's only stored on shelves. If you have UFO's, you might want to try and find someone who can store them for you in a climate controlled environment if you don't end up with climate controlled storage, since it's harder to wash UFO's than it is to wash fabric.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM

After the tornado here in Joplin, mo.. all the fabric that I was able to save was put into plastic tubs.. and then into storage. I thought it would be short term. I'm just now getting it out, it has been stored for 3 solid years, short one month.. After 3 years in a storage unit I didn't know if it would be good or not.. Every tub I've opened is fine! I did store it in the back of the unit so no light ever shined on it.. The unit was not climate controlled, but everything is fine. I stored it in the plastic tubs because that's what I had, and I thought mice would get into paper boxes which was my other choice.. I'd go with the plastic tubs that you clamp the top onto the tub.. they worked fine for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM

I use the ones that I get at Costco, that have the interlocking tops and are stackable. I have had no problems.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM

I have stored my fabric in plastic storage bins for years and I don't see what the problem is? You should be fine. In fact mine don't get open for 6 months at a time. I really have not had any problems.