Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longterm Stash storage >

Longterm Stash storage

Longterm Stash storage

Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Longterm Stash storage

I will be in an RV for the next year or two without room for my entire stash. We will have a storage unit so I plan to put the stash there. I know you're not supposed to store fabric in plastic, but I have everything in big plastic tubs in hopes of keeping insects or mice out. Is there a better way to store the fabric? Has anyone stored fabric long-term?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Will you be able to go to the storage unit from time to time? I have kept my fabric in the plastic bins for years with no problems. But they are opened from time to time - but some have gone longer than 6 months and still no problems with the fabric. Is your storage unit climate controlled? I would be more concerned if there are going to be extreme temperature changes.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM

I'm hoping for temperature controlled. I will probably get into them every six months or so. So maybe I'm ok?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I store my fabric in plastic boxes, and have for years with no problems. In our last house, the water heater let go, and my sewing room was in the basement. I would rather have the plastic than cardboard.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM

I too store mine in plastic Rubbermaid or Sterling bins. They're opened quite a bit though. I really hope you can get climate-controlled. My DD had that kind and even had furniture in there. There were no problems that I remember with bugs or mice. The climate-controlled she had was a building in Denver off I-25 that was maybe 4 stories high. I thought it was nice.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM

I think you are best off with something that has a good seal. I know people say don't store in plastic , but the idea of humidity and potentially pests... makes me say plastic with at tight seal.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM

We moved last year and needed to put a lot of things into a large storage container. That included all of my fabric and sewing supplies. I had everything in plastic bins that were stackable, so hopefully it all would be OK. The container was stored for 5 months in a yard somewhere in full sun. I was almost afraid of what I would find when opening the container, but all was well. The fabric and supplies were none the worse for wear and not a sign of a bug or rodent anywhere. The only casualty was a couple of the bins broke- the movers had piled them too high and the weight cracked some bins. No big deal- now I have everything in a wall to wall cabinet in my new sewing studio.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I have found plastic bins with covers to be fine for storing fabric long-term. The bad plastic for storing fabrics is soft plastics, as in plastic bags. These "outgas" chemicals and are not immune to mice, who can chew through the soft plastic. Hard plastic bins do not outgas and are pretty good about keeping mice out. Most allow a little bit of air exchange, which is good for fabric. Some people drill a few holes in the bins so air can circulate, but I have never done that. All of my fabric bins have been stored in the house, though. If stored in a non-temperature controlled unit for six months or more, it might be a good idea to drill very small holes in the lids -- so that if there is any condensation inside the bins from extreme changes in temperature, the moisture has a chance to escape. Moisture that cannot escape would cause mold in the fabric.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:33 PM

I would probably line the bins with some unbleached muslin so nothing is touching the plastic. I don't see why it wouldn't be ok in temp controlled. I have stored fabric in bins in the basement for years with no problems.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I think you are best off with something that has a good seal. I know people say don't store in plastic , but the idea of humidity and potentially pests... makes me say plastic with at tight seal.
Yes you are correct, when they say no plastic they mean tightly sealed like those ziplock bags (vacuum bags) and zippered bags. A plastic bin should not hurt long term.