Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longterm Stash storage >

Longterm Stash storage

Longterm Stash storage

Old 04-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Try making small sachets with cheap (as in thin, loosely woven) muslin tied with string or floss. Fill them with 4-5 tablespoons of a mix of lavendar buds and cedar shavings...both of which can be bought online.

This mixture helps alleviate bugs and that musty smell. I've used this mix for 15 years, 2-3 sachets tucked among layers, in large plastic bins and on the enclosed shelves where I store my stash. I love the 'clean' smell of this. You can refresh the sachets just by squeezing them a bit with your fingers. They make great quilty gifts, too.

Jan in VA
Old 04-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Jan, you are so knowledgeable! I will have to try this.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I would probably line the bins with some unbleached muslin so nothing is touching the plastic.
If it is feasible, perhaps you could store your fabric in pillow cases inside the plastic tubs. My fabric has been in plastic boxes for at least 5 years. Of course they have been opened whenever I am on the "now where is that" search. Ann
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM

I also use the plastic stackable storage bins. Because of housing space issues, they are stored in our three season porch. Here in Minnesota, the temps on the porch fall well below freezing, and can soar to over 100! I do open them "regularly", and have stored them there for years without any issues.....except for the growing number of bins!!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Well, when we lived in our MH for a couple years, I stored all my fabric under the bed in cardboard and plastic containers. Also got tax boxes with the open handle and put those under my couch and was easy to pull out. I had no problems at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Try making small sachets with cheap (as in thin, loosely woven) muslin tied with string or floss. Fill them with 4-5 tablespoons of a mix of lavendar buds and cedar shavings...both of which can be bought online.

This mixture helps alleviate bugs and that musty smell. I've used this mix for 15 years, 2-3 sachets tucked among layers, in large plastic bins and on the enclosed shelves where I store my stash. I love the 'clean' smell of this. You can refresh the sachets just by squeezing them a bit with your fingers. They make great quilty gifts, too.

Jan in VA
I use bay leaves and rosemary for this. They also repel bugs. Sometimes I add a bit of mint just for the scent.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM

My mother put all her sewing stuff, including a lot of fabric, in plastic bins to move them across country. They got put in my brother's detached laundry room and were not touched for about 6 years, until she decided to sort some out and send most of it home with me. The fabric was just fine but had a little "stored" musty smell. A little airing out got rid of the smell and I finished her UFOs and have used most of the other fabric. Enjoy your travels.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 AM

I had fabric stored in plastic bins for years in an outside shed - I have not had any issues. Some aren't opened but maybe once a year. I think you will be fine. I am in Texas so we don't (other than this year) get really bad winter weather but summers are pretty hot.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 AM

I had stored fabric in large totes in my Dad's basement for 2 yrs before I was able to move out here and there were just fine. But I have found a way to store small pieces and scraps that saves me ton's of space. I have fallen in love with those Vacuum Storage bags. Stuff them -suck out the air and they can be slid under almost any piece of furniture or stacked on top of each other on a shelf. They are the best thing I've invested in since my Rotary cutter
Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 AM

I've had mine in plastic tubs for years and nothings happened to it. Maybe that's not long term enough to do damage, but for your amount of time, you should be ok. I think the chances of critters is greater than anything else, so I think plastic, especially ones that seal tightly are the way to go.