Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Look at this stash! Wonderful storage idea!

I wish this was my stash - there's some BEAUTIFUL fabrics here! But....... :( :( :( :( it's not. Anyway, I saw this on another website and just had to share her idea.

I love how all her fabrics are sorted in clear see through bins (that way you can admire your stash frequently).

I love how they are all uniformly pressed & folded (that way you can buy more fabric).

I love how EASY the concept sounds...I wish I had thought of it.

Here's the stash pictures: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-my-stash.html

Here's the stash storage idea: http://thehappyzombie.com/blog/?p=124

that works nicely for yardage, but most of my stash is small, odd-shaped pieces. I just toss it in Rubbermaid totes.

Most of the time i do my sewing in the middle of my mess. I clean when I get to the stage that I can't find anything,,,,, it my mess and I feel good about it :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :wink: :wink: I'll have to get some pictures lol

I fold it just like the second post. It works GREAT!!! I was able to empty two out of the total 8 totes (that's 1/4!) and I can now find what I need. It's been a year since I did the initial fold and sort project. I need to do some of them again since I've been pulling from my stash to do projects. It didn't take long, and gave me a chance to see what I had.

Ok, now I need to reorganize completely! Maybe that will leave me room for more???
    :D :D :D

judee

ps Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    I fold it just like the second post. It works GREAT!!! I was able to empty two out of the total 8 totes (that's 1/4!) and I can now find what I need. It's been a year since I did the initial fold and sort project. I need to do some of them again since I've been pulling from my stash to do projects. It didn't take long, and gave me a chance to see what I had.
    :lol: :lol: See! Room for more!

Quote Originally Posted by judee0624
    Ok, now I need to reorganize completely! Maybe that will leave me room for more???
    :D :D :D

judee

ps Thanks for sharing
    Your welcome!

Room for more ... I totally agree! :lol: :lol: :lol:

that is how I fold my fabrics, rolled around a ruler and folded in half to put on the shelf. I fold pieces smaller thatn 1/2 yard into little 4x5ish pieces to place in a drawer.

The happy zombie has a great idea to fold around a ruler. Mine are all folded in colors, but not all the same size. But think of the potential sewing hours that could be wasted on sewing. Ruth, I sew in a mess too.

Blog Entries
    I just cleaned up my mess recently and I didn't fold like that, but I did fold. I like it much better now that its done. I have a strong feeling though that once I really get in there to do a totally new project...it will soon look like a bomb exploded in there. For some reason..all my projects create that look. :oops: :roll:

If you have smaller pieces, don't throw them away. Cut to 1", and make split rail quilts, small block courthouse steps or log cabin blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I just cleaned up my mess recently and I didn't fold like that, but I did fold. I like it much better now that its done. I have a strong feeling though that once I really get in there to do a totally new project...it will soon look like a bomb exploded in there. For some reason..all my projects create that look. :oops: :roll:

My sewing room always looks like a bomb exploded....

Banned
    Mine would look nice like that for maybe...2 days max. After that, it would look like a tornado hit it again.

I know what you mean, babegirl. As soon as I start pulling fabrics, the mess is there again. I use bins (everywhere). Not a good thing. I'm working on the idea of getting upper kitchen cabinets to hang in the sewing room. I'm told to use vertical space, and that's all I have left.

I have been storing my fabrics in clear(ish) Rubbermaid totes. But I really like the folding idea. The fabric would store in the totes better too!

Dang I'll never get back to sewing again! Now I have to fold all my fabrics!

LOVE the links!! Thanks so much for sharing. I have mine relatively neat but am clueless about folding larger pieces. This is PERFECT! I think I may spend some time on this after I get around to finishing the blocks I'm working on. I'm making a big mess in there and it sounds like a great winter project.