Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warranty work >

Warranty work

Warranty work

Old 04-17-2014, 03:27 PM

Default Warranty work

I have been shopping the internet for the best price on a certain Brother machine. I have found a couple of good advertised prices so I know how much money I need to save. My question is this.....what about warranty work if you buy from a company like All Brands? I don't imagine that dealers want to do warranty work on a machine that they didn't sell. Is it smart to buy from these places or just buy from a dealer?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I think most sewing machine warranties cover just one year in terms of both parts and work. After that, they usually cover just parts for awhile longer (not sure how much longer -- maybe 4 more years?).

The way I look at it, how many machines require warranty work their first year? Especially if a well-known brand. After that, unless the part is a computerized mother board or something along those lines, the parts cost of getting a repair tends to be less than the technician's cost.

I believe the odds are in favor of not worrying about warranty.

Here is a thread I found on Babylocks that covers some opinions about buying an extended warranty:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/78746
Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Buying over the net can be a risk when it comes the the warranty. The seller will do the warranty work, but you'd have to cover any shipping costs to and from. Then you have to pack it so it's not damaged. I know plenty of people who've had warranty work and issues with their new machines. Myself included. My Bernina was in the shop so many times the first few years I thought I'd go insane. Or at least it seemed like it! If I had to ship it that many times, I'd be dirt poor.

Many times, buying local is the way to go, as to support your small businesses and typically they offer free classes that often times makes up for much of the price difference.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM

I personally would buy from a dealer with a good reputation for service work. I have a Bernona 880 and a White Pearl as backup. They each go in for a yearly spa treatment as I expect to have then for a very long time. I also have 6 Featherweights but my husband sells and services them so he is my reputable dealer for them.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:14 PM

I would buy from a dealer if I were going to get a new machine. The only other way is to buy used and take your chances. Most dealers don't want to deal with warranty issues if they didn't sell it. Vikings have 1 yr parts and labor, 5 years on the electrical and 20 years on workmanship and defective parts plus there's not much maintenance involved like no oiling ever.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 PM

I have had only brothers since 94, have never once had warranty work done on any and all still run. I wouldn't worry too much
Old 04-17-2014, 06:41 PM

I'd call Brother and find out what responsibility the authorized dealers have to fix your machine even if you buy it online. I don't know about sewing machines (haven't bought one since 1994), but for many electronic devices, for warranty work, you simply need to find the authorized service center in your area. I suspect that the manufacturers give the dealers some incentive to fix electronics so they'll do it. https://www.brother-usa.com/service/.

The other thing you can do is go to the web site I listed and find an authorized service center in your area. Call them and ask if they will fix your machine under warranty. Don't tell them that you haven't bought it yet, because of course they'll try and persuade you to buy from them. If they say yes, then you know they probably will.

Also, if you buy your machine using an American Express card, it extends your warranty for a year. Again, I have no experience testing sewing machines, but we have done a warranty claim on some stereo equipment with Amex and they were good about the claim. I'm pretty sure that Discovercard also provides similar warranty coverage (check to make sure) but I haven't tested it yet.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM

My mother board went out on my name brand machine at 8 months. It was still under warranty but the local repair shop is still waiting for the board to be shipped. I have been without the machine since the beginning of February.

I don't have an extended warranty on the above machine but I still have it on my 2001 Kenmore. I save with the warranty because it was less per year than the annual cleaning. Plus I had a timing issue last year and it was covered so that was an added bonus.

Connie
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Does this mean if your new to the area & your sewing machine needs warranty work your out of luck. Don't think I'd want that dealer working on my machines. Yes , I've had warranty work done to a machine I bought on-line. I didn't have the orignal packaging. Had to have to have packaged up ( cost me $20). Had to pay to ship it to them & they re-imbursed shipping cost. So I ended up being out $20. When I factor in gas prices I fell I wasn't out much.LOL.

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I would buy from a dealer if I were going to get a new machine. The only other way is to buy used and take your chances. Most dealers don't want to deal with warranty issues if they didn't sell it. Vikings have 1 yr parts and labor, 5 years on the electrical and 20 years on workmanship and defective parts plus there's not much maintenance involved like no oiling ever.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 PM

I would buy from a dealer without a doubt. My Babylocks have 25 year warranties on them, my Crescendo came with a 3 yr everything covered completely. Cleaning and all.
If you have even a question who would you call? I'd buy from a dealer.