Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Estate sales >

Estate sales

Estate sales

Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Do like I have been doing. When I hear of someone who truly wants to sew or quilt and cannot afford a sewing machine, I give them one of mine along with fabric and supplies to get started with. I know I will never be able to use everything I have and it is nice to know someone gets it that will appreciate it. None of my kids sew and my friends that do sew have more than me. At least I know that some of my things won't go in the burning pile!

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Does anyone else find quilting stuff at estate sales? I love going to them but only find my kind of stuff every once in a while. When I do, I have a fun time getting the bargains. But then, my mind wanders and I wonder what the person was going to make with the fabric I find or ...... why did this person's loved ones decide to get rid of the treasures they loved? It makes me feel kinda sad. The person died before she could get her projects finished..... she still had creations that needed to be made. I hope I can do justice to her precious fabric and I cherish the tools because I imagine she cherished them.

My DS says that when I die, people are going to go crazy over all the stuff I've collected. Neither my DD nor my DGD quilt... or sew much for that matter. My DSs don't even know how to thread any of my machines (I have 16 at last count). I know, I should have taught them. I guess I need to get busy and quilt more..... so I can use up all the fabric and wear out the sewing machines and tools. I think I have a plan..... gotta go get busy.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

CAROLSTICKELMAIER, that's what I do too! Not machines but fabric, patterns, supplies, quilt kits. I love helping out anyone who's trying to get started in quiltmaking. Or sewing.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 PM

I'm 72 and would love a Feather weight machine do you have one you would part with? If so email me [email protected] Keep up the good work hopefully being active is what is keeping us here.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:17 PM

You all have inspired me to think about setting up my will with where things should go. This boards never ceases to amaze me with what you come up with.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
I am 74 years old and quilt nearly every day. Then I look at my fabric stash and wonder if I will live long enough to completely use it. I have greatly cut back on my fabric and sewing machine purchases. I have about 42 sewing machines and I find it very difficult to part with any of them but I must rethink this because I am sure they need to be used and I simply can't use them all. About 5 of them are really antique ones so they are not to be used. And, yes, we do go to estate sales and I always look for sewing things myself. I just truly enjoy visiting with
the people and finding out a little about the person who left it all.
Being a spring chicken you have plenty of time. My 81year old friend loves to cycle 25miles, surely driving a few sewing machines not to hard.

I know what will happen to all my quilting stuff , as my brother says, when I die. The skip.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM

My family knows that there are 3 orgs. that my fabric is to go to, when I pass on.
Sharon
Old 04-17-2014, 04:35 PM

How nice for both of you! :-)

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am so tickled, last week I got an email from an Estate Sale company showing some pictures of stuff for sale. There was an older model Tin Lizzie 18 with king sized frame for $2,000. I immediately called, text, and voice mailed the sales lady. The next day I was at the house buying it. The widow who lived there was selling off things she didn't want to take with her when she went to live with her son so it wasn't so sad to be buying it, in fact she was tickled right along with me when she seen how happy I was at getting this machine. My big problem now is finding a manual for it. I have emailed Tin Lizzie & soon will call them soon if I don't hear from them. I went back again on the last day of the sale towards the end when everything is 1/2 off and got a queen quilt top and a laundry basket full of material for $25. Now to clear out my computer room just to have a home for it. I am one happy "beginner"
Old 04-18-2014, 10:12 PM

Oh my Miss Missouri Blackberry..and I thought I was bad! I only have 6! You make me smile! 42! Any favorite?

QUOTE=Blackberry;6673179]I am 74 years old and quilt nearly every day. Then I look at my fabric stash and wonder if I will live long enough to completely use it. I have greatly cut back on my fabric and sewing machine purchases. I have about 42 sewing machines and I find it very difficult to part with any of them but I must rethink this because I am sure they need to be used and I simply can't use them all. About 5 of them are really antique ones so they are not to be used. And, yes, we do go to estate sales and I always look for sewing things myself. I just truly enjoy visiting with the people and finding out a little about the person who left it all.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 AM

I never find quilting things at estate/garage sales. Our children don't have any interest in sewing other than mending up a hole. I taught both girls how to use the machine. Older dd saw a hello kitty sewing machine on a shop hop that she went on with me and wanted it for her birthday gift. Not sure if it's ever been out of the box though. Ds has no interest in sewing/quilting. However, absolutely LOVES going on shop hops with me! He's 14 yrs old. He told me the other day that he'll go on more and when he has children, he'll take them on shop hops. Guess he has some good memories with me!
Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 AM

I rarely found quilting items I wanted at yard sales or estate sales but to be truthful I don't go often anymore I found myself bring home too much stuff I really didn't need or have a place for.

But this thread did start an interesting conversation with my oldest daughter. While neither she or her sister sew much and currently has little interest in it they get it. They get why I love it, why it brings me joy, the effort and love I put into each item I make. While they will probably keep each and every finished project I leave behind and a few tools the rest will most likely go to other homes. They will probably sell big ticket items then donate my fabrics to the quilt charities I value most.

Im ok with that I refuse to live my life not having the things that I love, value and want because "what will my kids/family do with it when I die." I also do not live my life choosing to or not to do things because of my kids "inheritance"