Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric allergy >

Fabric allergy

Fabric allergy

Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 PM

I met a lady who was an excellent quilter who developed a fabric allergy.sneezing and wheezing .she gave up her hobby. Could it be washing powder if it's a new one or company have changed its ingredients.
In the last few weeks have you purchased any new items.
It can be quick and stop as quickly. I went to flower arranging and was sneezing all the time. At the interval I just stopped but restarted again as soon as I entered the main room. why it must have been one of the tropical flowers I had never met before as only hyacinths effected me
Keep thinking about any item in the house
Old 04-26-2014, 01:04 PM

I have allergies - and use 4 different medications every day to fight them. The allergies are pretty much confined to nasal passages, sinuses and eyes.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:05 PM

It could be the sizing that is used to finish the fabric. I knew a quilt shop owner who loved fabric, but was allergic to the sizing. It definitely caused a problem.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:11 PM

It is the sizing on the fabric that you're sensitive to most likely. When I worked in a fabric shop I had the same symptoms and that's what I was told. Just wash the fabric and it should be fine.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Another good reason to take to the laundry room and toss right into the washer for a good pre-washing. Mine recently purchased fabric goes straight to the washer. Does not meet up with my other prewashed fabric til done. Any sizing in the fabric or whatever it's made of can be an allergen. How often do you think that fabric rolls around on the floor before the stores get it? How often have you gone into a store and see fabric laying on the floor and people walk right by it. Anyone know how many people walk on those floors before they get mopped/cleaned? Some allergens will trigger a migraine and I'm done for atleast 2 days in bed and weak the rest of the week. If it still smells coming out of the washer or dryer wash again. New fabric get the ammonia, Dawn dish detergent and Arm and Hammer washing soda/flakes treatment before it meets my other fabric. Sometimes twice.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I always check the containers for dye and fragrances. Whether sizing, Fabreeze, dryer sheets, starch (reg or spray)etc. I have a Jeep so I throw the fabric to the very back in a tote with a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda. If I'm going to be running all day after fabric shopping the tote keeps everything contained. If you have a trunk put it in there.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
It may not be the fabric. As soon as the snow starts melting, decaying of leaves etc. kicks in. I start to suffer with allergies each year as that season hits (well before tree pollen begins). It's the mold/mildew effect for me and time to get on Zyrtec for a couple of months.
This is something that you should look in to. I have been tested and am allergic to molds but I have allergies all year long.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 PM

I haven't purchased any new fabrics for a while but both my husband and I are feeling the effects of something in the air. Our eyes itch and we've been sneezing like crazy. We've had a wetter year than normal so it could be the mold, etc. Hope you find an answer to your problem soon.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:35 PM

given the time of year, and the fact the snow has been sitting on the ground for so long, it may very well be mold or spores that are releasing as the snow melts and the ground is exposed. I ended up miserable when I went to university every spring as the snow melted. The doctors saw it every spring and were used to people lining up at the clinics in town with with they affectionately nicknamed "snow mold" allergies. It was bad for people with reduced immune systems as it manifested as bronchitis, pneumonia, and a hospital stay.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 PM

First thing, my fabric goes from the bag I brought it home in right into the washer. I don't have the symptoms you described but my finger tips get painful if I handle fabric that hasn't been washed when sewing. Hope you are able to determine what is causing the problem.