Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
fish/shellfish allergy??????............BEWARE of sea salt!!!!!! >

fish/shellfish allergy??????............BEWARE of sea salt!!!!!!

fish/shellfish allergy??????............BEWARE of sea salt!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

I wasn't always allergic to things/foods, I LOVED lobster stuffed with shriimp however in my mid to late 20's I became allergic to shellfish, by my 30's fish all together including tuna. Now I am allergic to so many things that I am always reading food labels. Since I am very allergic to fish I thought if something comes from the sea I must be allergic to it. I am so sensitive I would never even think of going in the ocean and I once lived on Long Island and less then a mile from the beach. I ordered crackers on line and they arrived yesterday one ingredent was sea salt. I was not eating them without seeing if indeed there is a connection between fish allergies and products from the sea. I was right!!!!!!!!!!! I googled it and if you have a fish/shellfish allergy you WILL be allergic to sea salt and have the same allergic reaction to both. I would assume the same thing is true with kelp as that is from the sea. So anyone with a fish allergy please be aware of this fact. I feel there should be a label on products stating the allergy of sea salt the way products containing nuts are labled. Just as an added note I am also allergic to bees and if you are allergic to bees you could also be allergic to honey. I have been rushed all to often to the ER to take any chance with allergies.

I have told my children if I ever decide to kill myself I will do it by having one last meal, it will be clam chowder as a starter then lobster stuffed with shrimp and crab meat and for desert I will have struffoli which is an Italian pastry drizzled with honey. Now that is a great way to go. :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLAO
Old 02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

It must be miserable to have food allergies. I remember in grade school one child was allergic to all dairy products. He wore a sign all day at school that said DO NOT FEED. I'm not kidding!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 PM

I didn't realize that either. DH started with fish, first trout and salmon then it moved to other fish. Finally about 4 years ago on my birthday we had shrimp for dinner (he could still eat shell fish) well he had a bad reaction and we spent the whole evening in the ER. Now, I don't even cook fish in the house unless he is out of town. The funny thing is, he can eat Caesar Salad and dressing even if it has the sardine stuff in it. We do keep Eppie Pens here and also take them with us whenever we travel.
He always says that if he is ever on death row he will have Fried Crappie and King Crab Legs for his last meal!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM

I am deathly allergic to shell fish, and I use sea salt all the time. I can't use regular salt, I'm allergic to iodine because of the shell fish allergy.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Doesn't sea salt have iodine? I checked the sea salt I have and it has a list of a lot of trace minerals including iodine.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM

You can get regular salt without iodine.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

My grandmother's Dr. told her to always buy iodized salt unless someone was allergic to it. Most people, especially kids do not get the amount of iodine they need. Iodine deficiency causes thyroid problems.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 PM

I can see being allergic to certain kinds of fish, but all sea products? Then there must be some common thing they all have that causes the allerigc reaction.

Is it iodine? But iodine is a needed mineral. How do you avoid goiter and other thyroid problems without iodine?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Good to know. My allergies are mangoes, pine pollen, any pine tree for that matter.