Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric allergy >

Fabric allergy

Fabric allergy

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM

I am absolutely allergic to some of the finishing and dying chemicals used in some fabrics. There have been times I walked into a store selling fabric, started to clog up and claw at my eyes and walked right out. This was a store I regularly bought fabric from.

Come to find out, they had just put out a new shipment of cloth.

One more thing. Not everyone shows allergies in the same way. You and I may be allergic to the same thing. You may develop a rash or start to itch. I may have my nose start to run and sneeze.

Achoo. Sniff.

P
Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM

I have to wash all fabrics (and new clothes) because my eczema will flare up. But the worst outbreak EVER was caused by sheets washed in laundry detergent containing fabreze. That was a nightmare.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I'd wash that fabric in a flash, at least once and I really hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 AM

dust mites are some times an issue or basement mold can be partly to blame. I moved to a lake house that had been closed for almost a year; the basement was my downfall for a while . I had to wash all walls and cabinets three times before I had relief. I have fabric that lived there too and at times when I dig into my stash that was in that house I get a annoying runny nose. Guess I still need to prewash it all again.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM

I have encountered sneezy, achy, runny nose, headache problems with some fabrics. I do have lots of allergies but have had them under control for a number of years; however, I keep my nasal spray and inhaler everywhere, like, the car, purse, sewing tote, bathroom...
Remember these fabrics are from overseas, in warehouses, containers on ships, in trucks, on floors, wrapped in plastics, full of dyes and all types of chemicals, etc, etc, etc...
Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM

My worst season when I lived in the North was after the snow melted but before the trees budded. My doctor told me that even before you can see the trees bud they emit substances that some people are sensitive to so it may or may not be the fabric. My eyes watered, sneezing, wanted to lay my head down all the time.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

In the past, I've had problems with breathing and chest pains from new fabric, so you're probably on the right track that you're allergic to what you brought home.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
It may not be the fabric. As soon as the snow starts melting, decaying of leaves etc. kicks in. I start to suffer with allergies each year as that season hits (well before tree pollen begins). It's the mold/mildew effect for me and time to get on Zyrtec for a couple of months.
Ditto !! I usually end up losing my voice for 3-4 days also. My students were very good about it. Can you imagine??
Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM

As soon as I start sewing, my nose starts to run like a faucet. I know its from the raveling's and small pieces that are floating around in the air. I keep a box of Puffs near by If I'm going to sew for any length of time I take an allergy pill.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM

The fabric did not come from a "private" sale I bought it from Craftsy as a kit. After living in Alaska for 36 years this is my first spring with these symptoms. My Dr. did tell me there is a "Pollen Vortex" now. Who knew?? Anyway, steroid nasal spray is helping a lot.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.
Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
You say that this fabric was a "private" sale and not from a store. Could it be that the fabric came from someone who either had pets (dander is basically invisible and that is the stuff on pets that cause allergies) or someone smoked around the fabrics. Just a thought. Wash the fabric as soon as you can. The small pieces can be put in a mesh bag or pillow case and either hand washed or put into your machine on gentle. You shouldn't get too much fraying this way.

I get cracks in my thumbs (by the nail corners) when I handle a lot of fabric. I think this is because of the sizing/dyes. Sometimes I will wheeze when in fabric stores or even clothes stores. I've always attributed this to the dyes and I make sure I carry my inhaler.

Hope you are feeling better! Here in the northeast we've had a winter to beat all winters (extreme cold and tons of snow). Now we have rain and mud. Lots of molding leaves in addition to budding plants = lots of allergies up here. Sometimes I hate spring...