Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I make my own degree template/rulers? >

How do I make my own degree template/rulers?

How do I make my own degree template/rulers?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I drew a circle the size I wanted the ruler. I divided the circle in half, in fourths, in eights, kept dividing until I had degree wedge I wanted. Oh forgot, the small end of the ruler does not come to a point. Draw about a two or larger inch circle in the middle of the larger circle. Add seam allowance to the wedge you cut out.

Last edited by Onebyone; 05-03-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Okay, saw your last post. You have to take into consideration, that there is a seam line on the degree ruler and none on the protractor. Just try the paper method and mark the same degree as the ruler you have, then compare them.
So now it makes sense as I forgot about the seam allowance, thanks GingerK
Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 AM

I make templates out of cardboard and then put my regular quilting ruler on top of them to cut. Works for me and the price is right. A small piece of sandpaper glued on the template keeps it from moving. I used this method before rotary cutting and fancy rulers came out when we were drawing around templates and cutting the pieces out with scissors. Back then used it for hand piecing as you hand sewed along your drawn line. Now I just make my template 1/4" bigger around all sides to allow for machine seam allowance and don't draw lines.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:04 AM

You could try http://www.printablepaper.net/ as they have all sorts of angles available and you could use that or cut and paste it to template material.

I am lucky to live in a bigger city with lots of plastics companies that will make the template exact for me at a very low cost. I think my last extension table acryllic top cost under $10.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Broke out the old protractor but I think it will be kind of hard to get it perfect myself. I tried to measure with it straight across the bottom that didn't look right. I put it on the center line and got 18 tiny marks but I don't know if that would help.
Can you tell I didn't do well in math? What's the correct way to use this thing anyway?

LOL get outta my head Tartan! I love math - geometry...never had it so it's a guess! Now...I have to go to the store to find one of 'those' gadgets lol.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Wow - now I have options that I think I understand! I'm going to give this a whirl... if it's not successful (& makes my head hurt )... I think I'll be ordering some rulers hahaha

Seriously - thanks everyone for the ideas and help! That's what makes this board so awesome !!!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Okay, saw your last post. You have to take into consideration, that there is a seam line on the degree ruler and none on the protractor. Just try the paper method and mark the same degree as the ruler you have, then compare them.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
So now it makes sense as I forgot about the seam allowance, thanks GingerK
HI, Don't know if anyone still cares about this geometry stuff The angle is the same for with & without seam allowance, but since quilters usually add it after, you were on the right track. The problem is you need to measure the angle from the APEX of the angle. That's where the 2 lines intersect. The ruler is cut off, so you would have to add it, by taping a piece of paper or something on to the ruler and extending the lines. Then the point would go in the middle of the protractor, and you would align the seam line with the base line on the protractor.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474491[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pro.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	474491  
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 AM

If you can find someone with a laser engraver, they can cut the acrylic for you and mark the lines. There's no sanding needed after the laser cuts the acrylic.

We have one for our engraving business and my husband does all my templates for me.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 AM

Great information from members, usual........................
Old 05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Glad to know PaperPrincess, that someone knows what they are doing with geometry because it sure isn't me!