Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Rhubarb-Lentil Soup >

Rhubarb-Lentil Soup

Rhubarb-Lentil Soup

Old 05-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Default Rhubarb-Lentil Soup

I was gifted a large bag of rhubarb and was determined to use it. DH who won't eat rhubarb desserts loved this soup and said it tasted like there was meat in it. I'm doubling the recipe next time in order to have leftovers.

Rhubarb-Lentil Soup
Cooking Light MAY 2008

Soaking the lentils in hot water helps them cook a bit more quickly when they're added to the soup. Because of rhubarb's likeness to the tangy herb sorrel, this dish plays off classic lentil-sorrel soup.

• Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups soup)
Ingredients
• 1 1/2 cups boiling water
• 3/4 cup dried petite green lentils
• Cooking spray
• 2 cups finely chopped carrot
• 1 3/4 cups finely chopped celery
• 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
• 2 cups chopped rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
• 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 15 oz can whole kernel corn
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings

Preparation
1. Pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over lentils in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes.

2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrot, celery, onion, and parsley to pan; sauté for 4 minutes. Add rhubarb, and sauté for 3 minutes. Drain lentils, and add lentils to pan. Stir in chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until lentils are tender.

3. Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes. Place 3 cups lentil mixture in a blender or food processor or immersion blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in pepper, corn and diced tomatoes.

4. Garnish with dollop of sour cream if desired.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 AM

I copied your recipe and when the rhubarb is big enough I,ll try it. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 AM

I make lentil soup but not tried adding the rhubarb...leaves only, correct?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Geri B;6707325]I make lentil soup but not tried adding the rhubarb...leaves only, correct?NO!! Rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:58 AM

[QUOTE=Tartan;6707485]
Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I make lentil soup but not tried adding the rhubarb...leaves only, correct?NO!! Rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
Brain was in reverse yesterday! I knew that, meant stems only......I have developed a liking to kale...wonder how that would taste too?
Old 05-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks for sharing as I am always looking for ways to eat rhubarb. I jarred some last fall -that I had frozen and didn't add much sugar so I may even try using it in the soup. I will try this soup a few different ways. Of all
things I had made a big pot of veggie soup today and that is when I saw I had some green lentils and have all else.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
Thanks for sharing as I am always looking for ways to eat rhubarb. I jarred some last fall -that I had frozen and didn't add much sugar so I may even try using it in the soup. I will try this soup a few different ways. Of all
things I had made a big pot of veggie soup today and that is when I saw I had some green lentils and have all else.
I will have to get some lentils and rhubarb first. And I just made bean soup a few days ago...But I can freeze some of that since I am primarily the one who eats it.

Serita
Old 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM

I made it . I love it . Will make it all season. Intend to also have frozen rhubarb and make it in winter time too.
Today hubby commented that it doesn't require meat. I used chopper to do the carrots & celery so didn't use the immersion mixer ---saved a step and consistency was great. Thanks for posting this recipe.