Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mailing a quilt >

Mailing a quilt

Mailing a quilt

Old 05-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Wow!! This is a terrible percentage of wrong deliveries! Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have followed many of the suggestions previously on my own but I will now tape and retape, insure, check the actual label before mailing, request a signature and a tracking number. I hope this covers it. Nothing is simple anymore - it seems.

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
The few that I have had to mail I send via USPS and insure for the amount of my material and my longarm expense. Have never had a problem with them being delivered to the wrong address. Will say that 80% of the time that UPS and Fed-ex deliver a package to my home it is delivered to the next block. They can't seem to read the difference between an 8 and 9. The people that live in that home are really good about bringing me my packages.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 PM

I always use UPS when shipping a quilt, or anything expensive. The first $100 of insurance is free and the rates are cheaper than USPS, usually. Their tracking is excellent. USPS tracking has gotten better in recent years, however. And UPS is very good about paying out claims. If it is less than $100 or so, they just pay, they don't ask to see it or anything.

One time I did have a problem with UPS, I sent something next day air and it got stuck in my state. When I called them, they refunded my money and sent it Next day air Early AM at no cost!! Try to get the PO to do that!
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 AM
GG

I would do as the other ladies have suggested but I would also put inside a large plastic bag for protection due to something wet leaking onto your package.I worked for the USPS and just retired Jan.31.

Happy quilting
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 AM

I mailed a quilt last month...through my local post office....I insured the package for $200. Never did say what was in the box...but had a tracking number ...not a ounce of trouble and she was so happy with her new quilt.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 AM

I insure at value NOT cost of materials...
And I put fabric on the box...
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 AM

When I was getting ready to ship my clothes from Florida to Iowa, I checked all 3 agencies on their prices. I found USPS to be the lowest. I asked when they would get there as there were 6 - 30 lb boxes being shipped. They got there the day they stated and called me to see if I was home to receive them. They even brought them into the house for me. How's that for service? Anyway, I like the fact I can get a tracking #, insure it and they take the time to make sure the box is well sealed. I find FedEx and UPS just dropping it off onto your front porch and taking off, not even knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell. The Postal Service at least rings the door so you know its there. I'm in a fairly safe area (small town) so no problem with stealing off your porch but in larger cities I would be worried to leave anything on my front porch that wasn't tied down.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 AM

I always double check my label to make sure all is correct and then cover with clear packing tape. If you are sending breakables, pack in a padded plastic bag and then TIGHTLY pack with popped popcorn in an oversized sturdy box. Cheap packing material that travels well. My husband repairs violins and other stringed instruments and that is his packing material of choice and it has never failed to get to the owner in reasonably good shape. Always label FRAGILE on all sides. Do not label quilts as "quilts", but as bedding materials so thieves won't be interested.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 AM

I send everything thru postal service. Also, when I mail a quilt I put it in a plastic bag just in case it accidentally gets near water
Old 05-08-2014, 06:17 AM

I sent a baby quilt plus several other items by USPO, never received, and they get their mail at the post office. Sounds like sticky fingers in the post office.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 AM

That's why I always send a copy of the shipping info to the recipient so they can double check the address and track the package also.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>