mailing a quilt

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Default mailing a quilt

When I mailed a quilt to my daughter - I did the following -

Used priority mail
Insured it
Had her go to the post office and sign for it

It cost more and was inconvenient for my daughtrr - but I was reasonably sure it would end up in her hands.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

thanks, I may be mailing one soon.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:55 PM

Depending on the size/weight of the quilt you might want to opt for FedEx ground. You can track it all the way, add additional insurance it if you chose - and have it delivered directly to her home or office - whichever is more convenient (business address delivery is cheaper). I've used them nationally and internationally to send quilts - and knock wood, i've never had a single problem.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:49 PM

If you are wanting to protect from moisture in the air (commonly called rain) you might want to wrap it in plastic. I use a CLEAR trash bag, tape the address label to it. I also put address label inside bag just in case box gets damaged. Then I put it in box, tape shut, address it and take to shipper. Sounds like overkill but I want the address in several places just in case.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Depending on the size/weight of the quilt you might want to opt for FedEx ground. You can track it all the way, add additional insurance it if you chose - and have it delivered directly to her home or office - whichever is more convenient (business address delivery is cheaper). I've used them nationally and internationally to send quilts - and knock wood, i've never had a single problem.
She is a traveling sales rep. I have more confidence in usps than her company mailroom.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:49 PM

I Vacuum Seal all the quilts and art I send around the world. Reduces the size and the cost. Never any damage.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM

I just mailed three quilts but used UPS.....I also set it up so that I was texted by UPS as to its status along the way and final delivery. It made it from NJ to Michigan in two days. And that with the storms.....
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

I have always sent USPS Priority Mail on the advice of my mother (RIP) who worked for the post office. She was postmaster in the little town I was raised and we lived. Everything went Priority, insured with signature. That is how I have done with all packages and also Christmas gift cards. Everything that was wrapped had an address. I write the address with industrial permanent marker on the outside, then on a card inside and another index card on top of the address outside. I overkill with the tape. DH says I probably pay extra because of the extra ounces of weigh just for the tape. OH well! I do not mark fragile. Anything fragile is in the middle of the box with plenty of packaging around it. I do not write on the box anything like quilt, material or fabric. Only Priority.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:30 PM

That is the way I always send mine also.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:39 PM

I also use Priority Mail.

Heads up! I've had more than one package delivered by Fed Ex and left in plain view on our front porch.

One of those packages was my Husqvarna 875Q sewing machine in the Husqvarna box. I almost had a heart attack when I saw it sitting there as we drove up to our house lot.

I guess it was my lucky day that the peace officer who lives across the street was home and his police car was sitting in his driveway.