Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is my idea too selfish? >

Is my idea too selfish?

Is my idea too selfish?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

First let me extend my condolences for the loss of your grandmother. I don't think it would be selfish of you at all to make something for your family. That being said, since your aunt is making sure you get the scraps maybe you might want to make her something also to let her know you appreciate what she had to go through also. She did go clean the house and I'm betting it wasn't easy. Maybe a lap or throw quilt or even a wall-hanging!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM

Oh - you sound like me - confusing loyalty with reality!

Imagine you're sitting down next to Grandma and you say to her...these are the last of your fabric scraps and I know we have always designated them for charity....but would you mind if I made some mementos for myself and the other grandchildren? WHAT do you think her reply would be?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:59 AM

I agree with CookyIN. Keeping a lapquilt from these squares is a selfless act. Your Grandma put love in that box too or she would not have saved it for you. This is the most special box in the world. No, selfish is not a word that fits in here in all. Rather, choose words like precious, priceless, and treasure. If it were me, I would keep the squares, making some into a quilt, and keeping the others to simply pet and touch and know my Grandma had once held them also. What a moment I would treasure. Enjoy.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:19 PM

Not only would I use the scraps as you are suggesting, I would also be asking the aunt if there is more fabric or other scraps, cut or uncut, that you could have.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:44 PM

I don't think it is selfish one bit!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:53 PM

*** No it is not selfish.
*** She would be very proud that you want to remember her that way .
Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Thank you so much for the kind words of all of you. I have decided that when I get the scraps I am going to make lap quilts by using some scraps and some stash, so there is enough to share with everybody. I figure I will just separate the scraps by colors, and make the rest of the lap quilt in coordinating colors. I got a lot of work coming at me. Good thing I love doing it, huh?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

And keep some for yourself too, and keep her with you. I would love to know that my scraps are being used and remembered by my family.

It is not selfish at all.
peace
Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
If I were you I could not bear to give away the last box of scraps from my grandmother to someone who couldn't care less about the sentimental meaning of the fabric. I would take your grandmother's fabric and make something for yourself and your family who would understand and cherish the meaning behind the fabric. If you're really feeling guilty about having fewer charity quilts to give then use some of your fabric to make some charity quilts but I don't think that's really necessary.
Very well-said! I am also a grandmother who just a few months ago lost her grandmother. If it were me, I would be honored if my granddaughter wanted to make a quilt for herself of fabrics I left behind.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

This was your Grandma. You MUST keep at least some of them for yourself. If you are making a great deal of charity quilts, you are a warm and loving person. You do not have to give everything away. Try dividing them into, say, thirds, and keep one third for you.