Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting or not?  If yes to batting what kind? >

batting or not? If yes to batting what kind?

batting or not? If yes to batting what kind?

Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.. I am leaning towards skipping the batting... but I just never know until I start. And I have a few projects ahead of this....
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Do you guys think I can piece together circles from scraps of denim after I cut some circles out? (I would only piece together 2 or 3 pieces and it would only show on the back - will that work out ok)
I don't think that will work well. Denim seams are very thick, so the back would end up bumpy instead of smooth.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 AM

What if you didn't make a regular seam but instead just laid one piece on top of another & sewed them together. You would have a frayed seam but you could try it and see.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:50 AM

I clipped 1/4"apart
Thank you so much.... when you fray do you just snip away? like 1/16" apart? I have never frayed blue jean before
Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM

Denim is heavy and warm itself so I think I would just put a good piece of flannel for the backing and no batting.

Good Luck
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM

no backing needed for this quilt
Old 05-23-2014, 04:04 PM

I made one similar to that and used a bandana print cotton for the windows and then used flannel as backing - no batting. I don't think I'd want batting.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 PM

I made a jean quilt and was not going to use batting but changed my mind because the heavy jean seams( I pressed them open to reduce the bulk) could be felt through the cotton backing. So I ended up putting in Warm and Natural.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 AM

Default faux cathedral window

I am going to make one of these quilts with my sons' old jeans. http://www.equilters.com/library/jea...gallbaros.html Has anyone made one of these quilts? I am wondering about batting. I am thinking about batting for in the "window" between the cotton cloth and the jean backing. Where the jeans will be folded over there will be 2 layers of jeans, which will be heavy (which I want) and so I was thinking in the "window" where it will be 1 layer of cotton and 1 layer of jeans it won't be quite as heavy... and I wondering if batting would build that spot up a bit and make it look nice. BUT what type of batting? I don't want to get too thick and heavy. Please let me know your thoughts Thank you
Hi Meyert I've made several of these faux cathedral window quilts-different fabrics-some all cotton some denim-some mixed. This pattern isn't as heavy as the original fons and porter peekaboo quilt which was 2 complete circles sewing together. This is the "cheater" version but it goes fast and costs let. Regardless-it is still weighty with denim. I found out that denim come in different weights (who knew). Depending on how heavy the jeans are and how warm you want the quilt to be determines batt or not. I agree to batt the "window" only or it is quite bulky. I used flannel in the window only. It's a good compromise between batt or nothing. I have used regular batting (W/N) on all cotton, but not on the denim versions. Have fun with it-you can do some decorative stitching on the "flaps" or just a machine blanket stitch. It'll be a hit whatever you choose. (sorry for the wordy reply). Gave this to my grandson. Max in Virginia.

Last edited by mengler; 05-24-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:51 AM

Default Denim faux cathedral

This is in progress. I gave the quilt to my grandson a few years ago. Probably will do one for his brother.

Max
Burke
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cathedral Window Denim.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	476615