Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? to much fabric >

?? to much fabric

?? to much fabric

Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM

I've been really trying to not buy any fabric for the last 1 1/2 years. Just trying to use what I have. If I don't have the correct color, I'll paint it.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM

I know I have more than I can ever use and I sew everyday. It doesn't worry me as I know several people who would take it in a second, along with the quilt guild I belong to. I enjoy mine.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 AM

For my stash that is too much; I find a pattern I would like to- future make- then sort my stash and make a kit. Put all into a plastic see thru bag with the pattern and set it on the shelf for future sewing or just something different to do. I make charity quilts and this helps!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 AM

I would not be able to deal with a stash that I couldn't see at a glance. So my stash is limited to what I can fit on shelves in my small sewing room (a north room under a porch overhang, so no direct sun). I keep scraps in garbage bags, and have given away a few of those. I'd love a larger stash if I had more space. I'd like to be able to make quilts solely from what I have on my shelves, but that has only happened once. Usually I have to search for supplemental fabrics for each quilt I'm making. I can't believe anyone would burn fabric. That would be devastating.

I do not measure and label my stash. Is this scandalous?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM

I have a mini fabric store in my basement and so I made the decision to not buy any more (unless I know I need something I don't have and can't substitute something else) until I put a real dent in my stash. At this point, it will take a long time. But fabric is too expensive to give away unless I don't need it, and there are still a lot of charity quilts I want to make. So far I have only bought a half yard of Minki for some mini quilts for two of my granddaughters.Otherwise, I am shopping at home.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
My stash is "too much" at this point. It takes up a lot of space and, even though I have divided it up into plastic bins, takes too long to find combinations I want to use. Have no idea how many yards I have. The idea of measuring every piece is overwhelming!
i agree...sometimes you really can have too much of a good thing.
I'm going to try my best to go through my stash and keep my most favorites and some for dgd, the only other female in the family that really loves fabric.
One dd will do some light sewing of pillows and small items, but I'd like to sell some of mine that I will never get to use.
It's just difficult.
Online would mean postage and flea market would mean ppl don't want to pay enough to make it worth letting go.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 PM

For stash-managing, I am cutting fabrics I like least into 10-inch squares, 5.5 inch squares, 2.5 inch strips and 3-inch strips. Of course there is a pile of strings and a pile of assorted scraps aka "crumbs". Don't be afraid of the fabric, start cutting.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 PM

Mousie, The buyer pays the postage in most cases. I can't sell mine here because it's apparel fabric, not quilt fabric.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Mousie, The buyer pays the postage in most cases. I can't sell mine here because it's apparel fabric, not quilt fabric.
I've never looked into selling any fabric on here.
Is it really possible to regain most of what I put into the fabric?
I can't believe I'm really going to do this, but that's what it's come to.
I'd rather have the space and keep what I will really use.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

It's usually not possible to recoup fabric costs. Occasionally, if you have a vintage fabric that someone wants, you can sell it on eBay or Etsy for more than you paid. That is the exception, though. Most of what I want to get rid of is regular calico that has little value these days when people are looking for designer fabrics.