Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UPDATE!!!  How does Jenny do it? >

UPDATE!!! How does Jenny do it?

UPDATE!!! How does Jenny do it?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
In my recent post I asked what I thought was a simple question about Jenny. As I read the responses it is obvious that a lot of folks thought I was being critical........I wasn't. I have watched many of Jenny's tutorials and have learned a lot from her. I have marveled at the way she can make things that can be difficult so simple. In questioning Jenny's accuracy I should have wrote " how can she do such beautiful work so quickly". I work at a slow speed and my accuracy is usually a flop. I am fairly new to quilting and new to this board. I am amazed by all of you that are so confident in your work. I still struggle a lot. So, if you would please accept my apology. If I upset anyone believe me that wasn't my intent.
Lee Ann
Fiddlesticks! If you had been critical, that is your right. As for me--some of the people on this board intimidate me because they either make few mistakes or (more likely in my opinion) don't admit them. Perfect seams would be very nice, finding out what a scant 1/4is would be very nice, no pleats in the quilt lining would be very nice. What Jenny Doan and several other professional quilters have done for me is to reassure me that while "very nice" wins ribbons at quilt shows, "nice" and even really screwed up wins with family and friends.

Welcome to the board from N Texas. froggyintexas
Old 06-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Default update on jenny

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
In my recent post I asked what I thought was a simple question about Jenny. As I read the responses it is obvious that a lot of folks thought I was being critical........I wasn't. I have watched many of Jenny's tutorials and have learned a lot from her. I have marveled at the way she can make things that can be difficult so simple. In questioning Jenny's accuracy I should have wrote " how can she do such beautiful work so quickly". I work at a slow speed and my accuracy is usually a flop. I am fairly new to quilting and new to this board. I am amazed by all of you that are so confident in your work. I still struggle a lot. So, if you would please accept my apology. If I upset anyone believe me that wasn't my intent.
Lee Ann
Several years ago I attended a guild meeting in Pacific Grove, Ca where the guest speaker was Kitty(last name forgotten). Learned a lot, such as she is a famous quilter/designer in San Francisco, and no she does not go out and buy fabric, sew the quilt tops, she has people who do that. She also sends the quilt tops to be quilted to various quilters around the USA. Or her people do that. Just like Jenny, Elenor Burns, etc.

I liken my quilt sewing to what a friend in the hairdressing industry once told me, It is not in the set, it's the comb out. So if the those seams are a little crooked, a little pressing, and a good quilting design, no one will know.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:15 AM

I just know Jenny makes everything seem do-a-ble and she has the ability to laugh at her mistakes. Those are great traits to me.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM

Also, be aware that some of us are just lousy typists and don't always catch the errors. I have had my phone type anything but what I wanted it to. I twisted my ankle one day and was teasing my aunt about coming to kiss it better, and instead my phone told her to "kiss my a--"! I always send a question mark in response to questionable messages, and usually it is the auto correct that is at fault.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:26 PM

Kalama Quilt, You made my day. I like what you said "don't even think of criticizing Bonnie Hunter" Welcome to the Board Annie Pearl.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:34 PM

I understood what you were asking because Jenny is amazing. I feel like she's a friend I've watched her sooo much. I just love her bubbly personality.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
Fiddlesticks! ...What Jenny Doan and several other professional quilters have done for me is to reassure me that while "very nice" wins ribbons at quilt shows, "nice" and even really screwed up wins with family and friends.

Welcome to the board from N Texas. froggyintexas
Well said Froggy!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I am on the "not critical side" of the thread. I think all these teachers are amazing and, yes her tutes may not be perfecty accurate, but it is just demo of a method and I certainly can look past a nipped point or crooked seam just to learn something new.

I am glad you had the idea for this thread.
peace
Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 PM

I agree with being on the "not critical" side. I have had a couple of well known teachers who have also made the comment about the galloping horse/speeding car and the Amish about not being perfect. With practice you get better, but there will never be absolutes.

Even at shows, the judges have to choose on their taste and sometimes bring it down to what some may consider nitpicking because the work is so good.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
... while "very nice" wins ribbons at quilt shows, "nice" and even really screwed up wins with family and friends.
Omigosh... I love this!!!!

Love you, Froggy!