Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How often do you sew? >

How often do you sew?

How often do you sew?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 AM

Well, I tried Nancy Ziemans 10-20 min. a day route to getting the project done. Not disciplined enough, I guess. I understand the work interference, but found myself sewing more when I was working because I knew I needed the fun break and only had so much time. Retired now, sometimes I sew a lot for days on end, other times I find excuses to do anything but sew, organize the fabric, the thread spools, the bobbins, the sewing drawer etc. Finally figured out sewing was becoming work and I needed a break from that. Now I sew when I'm "in the mood."
Old 06-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I need to get out of this mood I'm in. I have things to do! I head to the sewing room with intentions of sewing then do a u turn and leave. I went in the other day and cleaned the machines and that was about it. I..have..things..to..finish! Ugh! Hate these moods!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:07 AM

Thank you! You all are making me feel better about not putting deadlines on myself!!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:20 AM
amh

Working full time does cramp ones sewing time. When I'm working on a project, I try to spend about half an hour cutting out, sewing, arranging on the design wall, FMQ or whatever needs to be done on a project. Some days I'm in the mood to sew and it ends up being way more than half an hour, other days I can't quite get my head into it and just quit after 5 or 10 minutes.

I will often use the sewing to relieve stress, so even the days that I think that I won't be able to concentrate I end up being very productive.

There are NEVER deadlines with my quilts. I want to enjoy the process. It's a hobby and if I put deadlines on my projects, it would be a job. My only rule is that I must finish a UFO before I am "allowed" to purchase more fabric.

amh
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 AM

I also work full-time and with a husband and grandchildrens' sports and school events, I find that quilting takes a backseat. What I found helpful was actually setting up my quilt studio in one of the bedrooms in my house. The 2 machines are set up and waiting for projects. The pieces are set next to the machines ready to sew. If I hit a slump where I'm just not making any time to quilt I go back to making sure I sew for 15 minutes a day. I find that if I commit to that, I get some relaxation and sometimes I extend the time by a lot, but often 15 minutes is all I get....and I don't mandate when the 15 minutes is....sometimes before work, sometimes as dinner is cooking....sometimes in the evening. Just sit down and do it. I also like to keep a yearly list of what I accomplished during the span of one year. It's amazing what you can get done....I check off as the UFO is complete and at the end of the year, what isn't finished gets transferred to next year's list. Not to stress me out, but to remind me of all the great stuff that I did finish.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

I try to sew a little every day even if it is thirty minutes. If you are organized you can just sit down and sew for a full thirty minutes. When I get home after work I de- stress for short while and after doing a few chores I will get to my machine. Most of my sewing is on weekends.

Don't be to upset that you can't find the energy to sew all the time. It makes it even more rewarding when you do get to visit the machine.
peace
Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 AM

I work full time, at least a 10 hour day five days a week.
Every day I tell myself when I go home I am going to sew, and I never seem to get there.
I beat myself up because I do seem to be able to continue to add to my stash.

I mostly sew on the weekends now and say for now this is good because I enjoy it.

I also do go away to a get away weekend twice a year, where you bring your own projects and don't take on another project with the weekend. I am always pleased with what I get done there, and it is fantastic to be together with like minded people.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:13 PM

I work full-time and have the same issue. My children are grown and my husband is retired so he does 'light' housework and cooking. I do find that at the end of the day sometimes I just don't have the energy and I don't beat myself up about it any more. I have created deadlines (got to finish for the baby shower or wedding present) but I use that to force myself to start....once I get going I find I don't want to stop to go to bed! Also, quilting is relaxing for me in the late evening and just the pre-bedtime thing. Almost like a good book before bed!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Karlin, I totally understand your problem. I'm retired now but when I was working I hardly ever had the time to sew. I was a school teacher and even after I got home, cooked dinner, cleaned up, etc., I still had papers to grade and lessons to work on. There's never a minute during the week for a teacher. So, now that I'm retired I can sew whenever I want..... love it.
Amen, amen from another retired teacher. I taught language arts and always had something to grade, lessons to plan, parents to call, etc. etc.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM

When I first started working, I did a lot of quilting. Then "things" got in the way, and I gave it up. I retired 5 years ago, and started up again. But...."things" get in the way, and I don't sew nearly as much as I'd like. We seem to always be on the go! I only set a deadline if I have to meet a specific time line. I'm also a night owl, so I can sew till 2 or 3 in the morning if I feel like it. Luckily I only need 4-5 hours sleep!!