Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can we talk about white fabric? >

Can we talk about white fabric?

Can we talk about white fabric?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM

I love quilts with white sashing and backgrounds. I use Kona White or Kona Snow depending on whether I want a true white or an off-white. Here is a scrap quilt I made with leftover fabric from ten other quilts.[ATTACH=CONFIG]478780[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrappy Baby Quit.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	478780  
Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 PM

Love that!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:47 AM

I don't like solids, especially white, so I always use tone-on-tones. I love the look that they give....not quite a solid, just a little more interesting. And then I usually dye (Dylon, not Rit) the leftover 1/2 yard or whatever. The fabric takes the dye well, leaving the white pattern showing as white, and the fabrics are always gorgeous!!!!! Sort of like getting two fabrics for the price of one. (Dylon dye is available online, as well as at JoAnn, Michaels and Hobby Lobby...at least it is here in the Atlanta area.)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:46 AM

I buy Kona White a lot from Joann's. If I want something a little less bright, I believe the white I choose is the Kona made for dying. (I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the butt in the future...)
I also keep my eyes on the remnant bin for white on white and other lights and neutrals. I love to mix them up in scrappy quilts so they have a more homey feel.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 AM

I love white on whites and use them often. They also help a quilt "pop." I usually buy several yards of the same design. (I like the curly, swirly designs). I really should start buying by the bolt!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 AM

I agree with several comments that it all depends on the pattern and project. I keep both white fabric and unbleached muslin on hand. I have a number of white on white prints that I really like and use often. Sometimes that little white on white just makes the difference between a good and a wow choice. In the end.... it is always what you feel best about.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 AM

I've found I prefere the tone-on-tone. More interest….
Old 06-12-2014, 05:45 AM

As I do mostly scrap quilts, if using white/beige in the quilt, I'll pull all those that are similar in color value if you can even say that about whites. So my quilts will have lots of variety in the texture/design of the fabrics used. Wasn't a fan of scrappy before till I tried one of Bonnie Hunter's patterns. Now that seems to be the only kind I do or I'll take a pattern and make it scrappy.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 AM

I use Kona white and Kona snow. I purchased some Bella Solid white as I would like to compare it to the Kona. So far, most of the white/white combos have not seemed as durable as the solids. IMHO And yes, I'm talking quilt store selection...not Walmart or Joanne's, although I shop there, too.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I have fallen in love with the color designs on white backgrounds, or the blocks made with white in them. They seem to float right on the quilt and I'm in awe of what that much white can do for a quilt.

When I go to quilt stores, there is so much white, some whiter than white, some patterned, some look as if they have been woven with a little silver and some a little gray. From dull white to bright white to sheet white, there are a lot of whites out there.

My questions are when using white, is it best to use a flat white or a lightly patterned white, and do the whites have to match? Like if a colored fab has a lot of white in it, I suppose you would try to match the white as close as possible, unless you are looking for a slight contrast, but to get that floaty look, they would have to match.

What whites do you have in your stash? Can you post pics? Do you ever do white on white?
I use a mixture of white on white fabrics when making scrappy quilts. Sometimes I do not know what size the finished quilt will be so this takes away the problem with figuring out how much white yardage I will need at the beginning of the project. If I am running short I just add some new white on white fabrics.