Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels >

Labels

Labels

Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Yes, i label my quilts. I now try to print the labels out and put them on the backs of the quilts before i do the quilting, so it doesn't feel like an extra step. I have two baby quilts where the parents didn't want to reveal the name until the baby was born, so now have to do them the 'old way'.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I make a handwritten Pigma pen small label. If it's a wallhanging or quilt for me, I sometimes just write my initials, date, and city/state directly in an inconspicuous spot with the Pigma pen.
This is what I do also..alway giving names, date, and city and state

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-13-2014, 06:49 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have never labeled a quilt even tho I mean to. . and darn if I don't forget. Maybe I will try making the labels out this weekend for the 3 I am working on. thanks for the reminder! I just mailed a Mickey Mouse quilt to a 3 yr old grandson and now I'm wishing I had remembered. well, next visit to VI I can take the label and hand sew it. sigh. someday I'll get it together.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

I do not label my quilts 100% of the time, but I do try, even quilts I plan to keep for myself. I've made a lot of quilts over the years and although I thought I could remember when I made them, I don't. It's nice to be able to look at quilts I've made 10,20, even 30 years ago, check the date and realize how much my piecing and quilting have improved over the years. My quilts are not heirloom quilts, with the possible exception of the family reunion quilts I make every 2 years, but I look at them as my legacy, and I know for the most part they will be treasured and used. I usually write with Pigma pens on white or muslin fabric ironed over freezer paper, which makes it easier to write on, then I remove the freezer paper after sewing the label on.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Sewnsewer2 and I got together for labels for my son's quilt last November, so now she is my "go-to" for quilt labels. She is very reasonable and thorough and quick. I love her work, can you tell????? Now I put labels on all my quilts, even the ones I am keeping.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I label all of my quilts too. Some of them I just write my name, town & date and some I make a label using muslin and sew it to the back of my quilt. Sometimes I make two small labels - one with my info and another with info on who quilted it. None of my mother's or gmother's quilts were labeled so I took a pigma pen and wrote on the back who/where/approx. date of all their quilts. I used their given/maiden/married names so they could be traced back if the need ever arises. I know my daughter will keep them for all of her life. I always write my maiden/married name on my labels too.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:48 PM

This is a good label - lots of information - I would even add more but then I'm a little OCD!! At the very least, add to whom (full name), from whom (full name), occasion or at least a year and where made. I sure do wish I had a family quilt (I was told my maternal great grandmother quilted but haven't seen a single one). As the family genealogist I would treasure any family heirloom which. Came with info about the who, where, when, etc. I have lots of things that just say "about 75 years old, from Grandma ..." Tells me nothing. I always remember the saying "anonymous was a lady".

Sandy in Mooresville, NC - getting warmer, but at least I'm not in Phoenix anymore!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:54 PM

Dummy me - I forgot to say that I was referring to the picture of the label from HillCountryGal - it's Friday the 13th - my brain has left the building!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jo bauer View Post
Do you put a label on your quilt? What kind? How?. I've only done labels for gift quilts, not for the ones I keep--seems silly for such a lot of extra work?
Great guns, Jo! Your quilts will likely be around long after you have gone to that great quilt studio in the sky and the people who own them will want to know something about their origin. I make labels out of domestic (muslin) bordered with a piece or pieces of fabric from the top. I write them by hand, saying why I made the quilt, where I got the pattern (including the ones I design myself) where the top was made, where it was quilted and the name of the quilter. If it was made for someone in particular, I include that also. You can get all that on a 4 in by 6 in rectangle. froggyintexas