Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labels >

Labels

Labels

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 PM

Smile Labels

Do you put a label on your quilt? What kind? How?. I've only done labels for gift quilts, not for the ones I keep--seems silly for such a lot of extra work?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM

Yes! I cross stitch my labels on 18-count antique white Aida cloth. I use graph paper to create the wording and to determine line length and line spacing and then I stitch in a color that complements the colors in the quilt.

Labeling may seem silly now, but not years from now. In particular, heirs to your quilts will much appreciate even a minimal amount of information about who made it and for whom, when and where the quilt was made.

Labels make quilts even more special than they already are because they have been documented.

Last edited by Terri D.; 06-11-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R2dVQxc

Hi,
This youtube tutorial is helpful and a lot of my quilts have a ink printed label. Three month ago I bougth a Pfaff Sewing machine with IDT, fancy stitches and one alphabet so I put in the machine's memory my name, a heart and the current year so now I "Sign" my quilt, LOL.
If the quilt is a gift I put the whole label.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478808[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478809[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails rail-fence-label.jpg   cf.jpg   cc.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I am really bad at making labels. Usually my only quilts with labels are the ones that entered quilt shows since that is a requirement.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:12 AM

I labeled ONE quilt that I gave as a wedding present. I did the printed ink kind but they've told me that since they use (and wash) that quilt a lot the label has faded so much it's illegible now. So no more printed ink labels for me!

I have an embroidery machine but so far haven't done the work to design quilt labels on it. Not really sure how to even do that. So far I've just used it to stitch out images from files I've purchased, haven't done any design on my own and probably don't have the right software for it.

I have been snooping around online to see how much it'd cost to get some very simple labels professionally made for me, but so far it's way too expensive considering this is just a hobby. Most have minimum orders of several hundred labels, and unless they're ridiculously expensive, they're tiny little tags like you'd put in a shirt or stitch into a stuffed animal. I want something larger, at least 2x3 inches.

My newest idea is just creating label fabric for myself on Spoonflower; so far that seems the most cost effective way to get labels I'll like, in amounts that make sense. I'm thinking of something that has my basic info (name, location) and a little slogan, a nice printed border, and space for me to add things like year & who it's for with a Pigma pen. I would do a variety, some baby quilt sized, some larger, some masculine, some feminine...if I size them right I can just order fat quarters so I could do a whole bunch of different varieties as separate fabrics and just order what I need. In fact, I think I just talked myself the rest of the way into going this route, LOL.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM

I bought a panel of cute labels that I'm going to write on with my pigma pen. I have always struggled with making a nice label. So hopefully the labels I just bought will do the trick.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:53 AM

I just bought a roll of 100 iron-on labels from somewhere on Amazon. It cost $16. plus postage. I haven't received them yet, but I hope I like them. I selected a simple design....sewing machine...and a simple message...."Pieced and Quilted by Dina" ....well, I added my last name too, but I am not sure I am supposed to include my last name here....sort of like don't put your email address here?

Anyway, I am too lazy to make labels. These aren't very large, about the size of the tags in the back of blouses....or at least I think that is the size. They are supposed to get here next Wednesday. Back when I made clothes, I used a label like this, only I had to sew it in. I am very hopeful that these work well for me.

Dina
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM

Marta, I love your labels!!

Dina

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R2dVQxc

Hi,
This youtube tutorial is helpful and a lot of my quilts have a ink printed label. Three month ago I bougth a Pfaff Sewing machine with IDT, fancy stitches and one alphabet so I put in the machine's memory my name, a heart and the current year so now I "Sign" my quilt, LOL.
If the quilt is a gift I put the whole label.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478808[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478809[/ATTACH]
M
Old 06-12-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I labeled ONE quilt that I gave as a wedding present. I did the printed ink kind but they've told me that since they use (and wash) that quilt a lot the label has faded so much it's illegible now. So no more printed ink labels for me!

I have an embroidery machine but so far haven't done the work to design quilt labels on it. Not really sure how to even do that. So far I've just used it to stitch out images from files I've purchased, haven't done any design on my own and probably don't have the right software for it.

I have been snooping around online to see how much it'd cost to get some very simple labels professionally made for me, but so far it's way too expensive considering this is just a hobby. Most have minimum orders of several hundred labels, and unless they're ridiculously expensive, they're tiny little tags like you'd put in a shirt or stitch into a stuffed animal. I want something larger, at least 2x3 inches.

My newest idea is just creating label fabric for myself on Spoonflower; so far that seems the most cost effective way to get labels I'll like, in amounts that make sense. I'm thinking of something that has my basic info (name, location) and a little slogan, a nice printed border, and space for me to add things like year & who it's for with a Pigma pen. I would do a variety, some baby quilt sized, some larger, some masculine, some feminine...if I size them right I can just order fat quarters so I could do a whole bunch of different varieties as separate fabrics and just order what I need. In fact, I think I just talked myself the rest of the way into going this route, LOL.
Re the fading..I've read of sewing little pockets on the back of the quilt, put the printed label inside so it can be removed before laundering.
Re the embroidered labels with your machine, they are so easy. You should have some decorative "frames" in your machine's designs, as well as alphabets---tho it is simpler to create the label in software and stitch it out all at once like a regular design. If you need help getting started, I'm happy to lead you thru.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I started out with good intentions regarding labels, but now the majority of my quilts don't have them. I just finished sewing labels onto 4 quilts that I'm giving away this month, and I've made myself a promise to get the rest of my quilt "inventory" labeled. I've been printing my labels onto Printed Treasures sheets, but I bought EQStitch software (adds on to EQ7) and want to use that to start embroidering my labels instead.

My plan for future quilts is to use a folded triangle in the corner of the quilt that has been embroidered with my name and the date. It will be sewn in with the binding, requiring no hand sewing. Then if the quilt gets gifted later I will make a personalized label and sew it on by hand. At least that's the plan...