Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Grand Quilter Hobby 1200 - Feedback? >

Pfaff Grand Quilter Hobby 1200 - Feedback?

Pfaff Grand Quilter Hobby 1200 - Feedback?

Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 AM
anonymous

I have the same machine, only Janome's version of it that I bought to put on my little Gracie frame. I upgraded to a long arm machine before I ever used it. I have had it listed on eBay and sewits for sale, but have not sold it yet. The box is still sealed. $549. If it doesn't sell soon I will just keep it and tell my husband I tried!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by summitbay View Post
I have the same machine, only Janome's version of it that I bought to put on my little Gracie frame. I upgraded to a long arm machine before I ever used it. I have had it listed on eBay and sewits for sale, but have not sold it yet. The box is still sealed. $549. If it doesn't sell soon I will just keep it and tell my husband I tried!
Hello,

I know it's a year later, but did you ever sell this?

cathy
Old 06-15-2014, 04:37 PM

TinkerQuilts Could you email me privately? I have a Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter 1200 and lately I'm tearing my hair out! What size thread and needle do you use. The book said 90/14 for Size 50 thread. I tried that and needle thread balled up on needle and broke. ?? I had a different thread/needle in and top thread was way too loose and made huge loops on bottom of quilt. Instruction book says to tighten, turn knob to right and that made it worse. I must be dyslexic! Not really -- I've had this setup August 2005. Just can't seem to get it to work right lately.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 AM

I bought a used one about five years ago, and love, love it. I thought I wanted to machine quilt the comfort quilts I make, and then figured out that I am a piecer not a quilter. I use it every day, keep it oiled per the instructions, and clean it often. Never had it serviced but it's truly a great machine and a workhorse. Mine likes YLI or Aurafil thread the best although it sews other kinds. Or perhaps I am a thread snob!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Hi,
I have the opportunity to buy a used Pfaff grand quilter hobby 1200 on Next Generation quilting frame with quilters cruise control stitch regulator for A$3000. I have previously used an Avanti (just a couple of times) and had no end of trouble with it, so have steered well away from doing my own quilting. So my question is: would you recommend this machine for a beginner? The price seems quite high based on what I've seen here.. Thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 AM
KLO

JKMC18, I have the Pfaff 1200 and really like the machine. As I mentioned before, it needs to be oiled on a very regular basis. Others have mentioned this also. It's a great machine and not much to go wrong on it. I have finally set mine up on an Inspira frame. Initially I had a few problems .... broken needle, broken thread, thread nests on the bottom, etc. ..... but I finally worked through all of that and can now mostly quilt with little problem although I am still only sewing on a length of muslin that is batted and backed for practice. Hopefully I will feel confident enough with this set up to actually quilt a quilt soon! I have a stitch regulator but have not used it yet. All that being said, I paid $1000 for the frame and machine (I have a friend who paid that same amount for the same set up) and another $150 or so for the stitch regulator. I don't know if the Next Generation frame is a more expensive model when new or not. The price you quoted seems a bit high to me but again as others often say, it depends on where you live and what's available. Good Luck with your decision!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Default Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200 Inspira Frame Thread breakage

So, this seems to be posted much later then most of these questions about the Pfaff Grand Quilter 1200 but I have to respond. I have had my Pfaff GQ 1200 and Inspira frame since January 2015. I bought it second hand from a lady in W. Virgina. We drove 9 hours to get it. I have used my machine a lot and it sews amazingly. Recently I finally put up my inspira frame. We mounted my machine and I began to sew. Well, the top thread did nothing but break. I have tried everything. I bought various needles and threads. I finally after the recommendation from someone on this site, bought a spool of the Maxi-Lock serger thread. Still breaking, so I purchased a pack of the Inspira Top stitching needles 100. Just put them in and threaded my machine and she sews like a dream. Oh my gosh, I am so excited. I have completely dissected it and cleaned it and gone through everything and it was finally the needle along w/ the correct thread that is making it work. Now on to quilt my first quilt on my INspira Frame....I hope this helps someone out there.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 PM

I just purchase my Pfaff GQ 1200 and set up the frame which they have installed on wheels so can roll out from the wall. My question is does the frame have to be level for everything to work correct. I have had Pfaff machines since 1972
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bizzibee View Post
This is encouraging! The asking price for the one that I am looking at is $2000.00. I'm not sure how old the machine is. Do you think that the price sounds ok?
That's way high! I've seen them new for half that and used for 500.-700.00. I would keep shopping if I were you.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tomara View Post
I just purchase my Pfaff GQ 1200 and set up the frame which they have installed on wheels so can roll out from the wall. My question is does the frame have to be level for everything to work correct. I have had Pfaff machines since 1972
Yes everything needs to be level. I learned this the hard way.