Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made? >

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Have you made a notebook of all the quilts you've made?

Old 06-17-2014, 03:43 PM

Well, thanks to all your comments, I've started designing a page that will document my quilts. It includes a space for notes and background information, who received the quilt, the occasion associated with the quilt, when it was started and finished, the name of the block, where I got the pattern, the finished size, info about the fabric and room for a swatch, what batting I used, which machine I used for piecing and quilting, whether it was machine or hand quilted, and who quilted it. I think I have included everything you all have mentioned. I'm planning on putting pictures on a separate page (one that faces the fact sheet). I think that the idea of including a picture of the label is a great one. I will start doing that.

I know I won't be able to fill in all the blanks for all the quilts I've done in the past but I can probably include a lot of it. I'm ready to get started. Thanks, everyone. You all have come through again for me. I love this board.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:16 PM

We take pictures of all our finished quilts. They are stored on our computer HD and are backed up *occasionally*. We also post pics here, and on FB. We don't keep any info on size, how much the fabric cost, or anything else. We do keep all our scraps, and hope to make some scrap "memory lane" quilts someday. I wish we had kept more specifics on them, but we are just glad to be able to get them finished and start on the next one.

Darren
Old 06-17-2014, 04:35 PM

I have an 8x8 photo album (with the plastic sheets) and every quilt I have ever made has a page. I put a picture of it and who I gave it to, etc. and also a picture of them. If it was a wedding quilt - I put a picture of the bride and groom. If there is room I also add a few scrapbooking items - stickers, etc. I've told my husband that I want that book put out by other display pictures at my funeral!!!! Is that sick or what - no I don't think so as quilting is a big part of my life and want to share that.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
I take a picture of each quilt once it is finished. This past Christmas I had all the quilts made from 2012 ( when I started quilting ) through December 2013 made into a nice hard cover book at Snapfish.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479348[/ATTACH]
It let me add the text to each page and I put the month and year made, the name of the quilt, and who it was made for / given to.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]479349[/ATTACH]
I plan on having one made each year as a Christmas gift to myself ! It was not that expensive, and I love having a nice hard cover album that I can see all the quilts I made year by year.

What a great idea. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
I haven't but should have. I see a quilt at someone's house and compliment it and the owner says, "You made it." Sure enough, my handwritten label is on it, so it must be true. But I should have kept a record so when I'm feeling as though I have not accomplished much, I could look at my quilt book. froggyintexas
LOL! Too funny!

One thing I add to my description in my quilt journal if it's a quilt I keep, is which of my kids will inherit it!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:02 AM

I should have but I haven't :-(
Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 AM

This is a great idea! I usually take a photo, but there are several over the years that I have no record of. I know that I gave quilts to all of the nieces and nephews, but only have photos of a couple.
The current ones I really try to force myself to make time for a photo.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I try to take pictures of most of the quilts I've made, especially the quilts I made for our bi-annual family reunions. If I'm unable to attend, which unfortunately is most of the time, I ask for pictures. I did start putting pictures in a small photo album so I can show samples of the quilts I've made. The album was a hit when I was in rehab for five months after a spinal cord injury, but fortunately I regained 90% of the function in my hands and legs. It was a good conversation starter.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
I haven't but should have. I see a quilt at someone's house and compliment it and the owner says, "You made it." Sure enough, my handwritten label is on it, so it must be true. But I should have kept a record so when I'm feeling as though I have not accomplished much, I could look at my quilt book. froggyintexas
LOL!! That totally cracked me up!

I've only been quilting a couple years so I definitely would recognize one of my own quilts at this point as I've only made...maybe 25 or 30 quilts, tops...but as the years go by I'm sure that'll change!

I have a couple quilts that I haven't even taken pictures of and sort of don't count in my mind. Simple scrappy quilts made just to use up leftovers, that I kept for myself. But I should document them, too! One of them is my favorite quilt, because it has all the leftovers from 18 different quilts that I made for Christmas gifts for my closest family members during my first year of quilting. It's a reminder never to commit myself to making that many quilts in such a short time span! (I made 18 quilts in 8 months, none smaller than 72" square. It was a little excessive!)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:58 AM

When I started quilting, I just took pic of grandkids with their quilt. Then I started taking pic with date on and who got it...
When I started, I didn't do well with reading patterns, so I took a pic of a quilt that I thought I might like to make. And when I finally had a fabric that I wanted to use, I studied the pic and made my own gragh and went to work. When I did my first attic windows, I didn't know much about quilting, but I could sew. So, I made my own pattern pieces and used 1/2 in. seams and went to work. I keep my pics of quilts in an album, well 3 albums, 1 for 4x6 pic of possible quilt patterns, 1 for table runners, place mats and etc... and 1 for every thing I have made... I put the pic of quilt I want to do, Maybe some pic of quilt in progress, finished pic with receiver if possible (I've missed a couple) the size of blocks and size of overall quilt. And some I put a swatch of fabric...When a quilt is finished I put the fabric or scraps in a sew thru container and keep for awhile to make sure the quilt is to the recipients liking. Then it goes into a container of strips, misc size scraps or a container labeled the size of sq. it will make. (4.5,4,3.5,3 or 2.5)I think I covered everything. Hope thins didin't get too long...