Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand-sewing and thread tangles >

Hand-sewing and thread tangles

Hand-sewing and thread tangles

Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

I have to - reluctantly - agree with using a shorter length of thread. It really does save time - and aggravation. I used to use about a yard at a time. I finally learned to use a shorter length of thread.

If I forget which end came off the spool - I look at how the thread ends hang off the needle - usually one end seem to twist more than the other - I knot the end that has the lesser twist in it.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the great hints. I am guilty of using the 6 foot long thread because "it must be faster". Next time, I will try some of these.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:21 AM

Thank you ladies!!! I will try all of these things.

I remember being taught to sew with "an arm's length" of thread...but now I'm thinking that I was taught that when I was about five or six, so my arm is a lot longer now!! From what you are all saying, I'm definitely sewing with too much thread on the needle.

I happen to have some beeswax laying around, left over from my short-lived foray into candle making. I'll try that too. I am guessing that 100% natural beeswax is just fine, it doesn't have to be some sort of wax blend?

I have no idea what direction my thread is coming off of the spool - I was using a couple of bobbins as my thread spools just for portability. Maybe that's part of my problem too, although I was careful to pull the thread off straight from the side instead of looping it up over the top and then I'd let it dangle free for a bit before threading & knotting, hoping that any twists would sort themselves out. I'll try threading right off of the cone and watch the curl and see if I can figure out anything there.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

I use Thread Heaven for all my hand stitching. Amazing thread conditioner.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...FTJo7AodHGIA3Q
Old 06-19-2014, 07:08 AM

...what she said. LOL. I took a class on needle turn app.. at quilt camp and the instructor gave the best advice for tangle proof applique. Her fave thread for this is mettler silk finish and thread heaven. She said never try to use thread longer than 18 in. and thread the needle before cutting it off the spool. I also like hand quilting thread, it is coated.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

I think hand quilting thread is too thick/heavy for sewing seams - unless one is sewing denim or upholstery.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Here is every fact about thread you will even need to know to make the best choice for your handstitching and your machine:

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM

My grandmother told me once when I was hemming a skirt; "Long thread, lazy girl". It hurt my feelings so bad!. My trick is to take a few stitches, hold the needle horizontally holding the needle with my thumb in the front facing up then pull my thumb down twisting the thread a little bit. It has always worked for me, so I use a long thread all of the time.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 AM

I want a magic needle, that never gets dull, never runs out of thread, and never allows tangles.

Is that too much to ask!?

I didn't get any time to sew last night but I did look for my beeswax and couldn't find it - it wasn't where I was "sure" it was. So I ordered some Thread Heaven in the meantime. I know that wax is around here *somewhere*....but I probably won't find it until I move again, LOL.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 AM

I pull off about 2 - 3' of thread and where I cut it I knot it. (then I thread the other end.) Has to do with the manufacturing of the thread I think.