Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
real stupid mistake >

real stupid mistake

real stupid mistake

Old 06-22-2014, 04:48 AM

Cutting them apart and reassembling was what came to my mind, too. Then it is not "oops I cut off the points"
it becomes "I invented a new design!!"
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
just a idea, have not try this but I was reading your post and this pop in my head. what if you cut the star like you would for a D9P and put it back together with a sashs? sorry just a early morning idea.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:13 AM

I don't understand why you need to abandon them because of a mistake. If all of them are cut the same way, you could keep going with the pattern, and you have just created a new design. It's a waste of time and fabric if you just throw them aside and say oh, well. Not perfect. Time to move on. I don't believe that to be true. I think the point is if they are all the same and cut all the same, in my mind they are totally salvageable.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:19 AM

Sashing will not help. As a matter of fact sashing will just show off the fact that the points are cut off. If you sew the blocks together the areas where there should be points should just blend into the next block.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 AM

When I do something like that, those blocks become crazy quilt material. I'll either use them as-is, or I'll slice them in random directions and use the pieces.

I love crazy quilts.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:26 AM

Well, look at it this way, all the blocks will look the same.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:34 AM

What if you made a really huge star for a center medallion and then used the blocks with the points cut off as alternating side blocks with some other blocks so that all of the "pointless" blocks are not together and won't be the focus of the quilt?

Could you post a pic so we can see your project?

Another idea..... Go with a really broad sashing and applique small stars, hearts, moons or all the above to each point, thereby covering up the gone points. Or just quilt the doggone thing and use it as your utility quilt....picnic, beach, lay on the floor for the baby to throw up on. Not everyone cares that the points are gone.

One more idea....do some kind of big center medallion, even if it is only a really pretty fabric that you don't cut up at all, then a small stopper border, then use 3 stars in each corner with focal fabric between them. After quilting if you still aren't satisfied, then add the applique.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 06-22-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:36 AM

I would finish it and use it for charity or a gift. NOT because the person is not deserving of a perfect quilt. But because they will think it is beautiful and have no idea that it was not designed this way. Non quilters never worry about this type of thing. It may become one of their most treasured possessions.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:14 AM

Just put it together like you were planning and name your creation " What's The Point ?". Then it totally looks intentional !
Old 06-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
Cut off another 1/2' and make it look intentional. You've just designed a new pattern ;-)
I like the idea that Debra posted. This will then make it look like the design was intentionally. I have seen a block like described by Debra somewhere before. Just finish the quilt and be glad that you have learned from this mistake. I found this block on Blockbase.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cut off points.BMP
Views:	1172
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	480021  
Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
Just put it together like you were planning and name your creation " What's The Point ?". Then it totally looks intentional !
Great idea! You could even applique "What's the Point" or "this is pointless" in the border. Every quilter who sees it will love it.