Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Place in the Country for Quilting? >

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Best Place in the Country for Quilting?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:44 AM

I second Susan's recommendation of the DFW area. I have lived here most of my life, and it is a great area. There are lots of small surrounding communities if you prefer a slower pace or more of a country atmosphere. Yes, summers are a bear, but we are fortunate to be able to escape for awhile each summer to lovely, cool Colorado. Most folks here are very friendly and welcoming. We have wonderful museums, art galleries, theater, music, and entertainment venues, plus GREAT shopping.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 AM

I live in Naples Florida. I moved here in 1990
from Chicago. The quilting guild I am active in
has over 250 members, a quilt show every year,
meetings once a month and we all get together on
the last Sat. of every month for a sit and stitch session
at a quilt shop. Many members also crochet, knit, paint etc.
so no matter what you want to learn, someone in the group can
help you. I am the travel chair, so you will be going to quilt shows
and shop hops!!! It's a fun group!!! We also have nationally known
teachers scheduled from Nov. thru April. So I traded my snow shovel
for year round sunshine and heat!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
Just remember, Debra, "Ever since the day you were born, you have been making an 'old' person." Sorry that you don't like old people. I can't stand screaming kids. Why do they have to scream to get attention and why do they need to have so much attention in today's world. It seems as if they have to be noticed and think they are the most important "thing" in the world. They MUST be seen and heard. This is my pet peeve and since I am old, I just LOVE old people and I love being OLD. lol and ha ha ha! Please don't get angry at me for saying this "stuff."
I agree. Too many spoiled kids making too much noise and indulgent grandparents with no common sense toting them around. My DH and I moved from Texas to Grants Pass and we love it here. Plenty of old folks who have led interesting lives and many who enjoy quilting. The weather is wonderful. Only one quilt store but bigger town within 30 miles with several stores. Sadly, we have a high transient population (more young indulged folks with no common sense) who feel they need to express themselves in ridiculous ways. So, I guess Grants Pass is not for you. PS: I love being old. It is the freest I have ever been. Retirement is awesome when you have planned in advance for it!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I visited Tucson and they sure have a lot of quilt shops. It seems there are many retired people there.
We have an 800 plus member quilting guild, have national speakers monthly who lecture and conduct workshops, put on an annual quilt show each January, have 4 wonderful LQS and other fabric sources as well. And there are bees galore. Tucson is a vibrant quilting community.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 AM

That's funny! Only my body is OLD! Not my mind or soul.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 AM

Debra, the day you were born you started to die, just a matter of how long it takes. Old is also a state of mind as much as years. A lot of people in FL are old, but there are many "young" retirees and here in central Florida, we have the Villages, good for people with money and good Drs, and many drive around that area in golf carts, really nice houses and lots of quilt shops and quilters and guilds. I was 50 when I moved here to help my mother with stepfather. I am 67 now and it is a good place. But best way to go is find places to rent for a while in winter and see where you like it. When my brother (73) had his health he preferred AZ, and as I lived in El Paso for along time I think I would like it too. DH will never leave FL, where he grew up and left as an older teenager. We all have preferences so you have to decide what yours is. Happy hunting.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 AM

I haven't heard anyone chime up for Atlanta, yet. I live in the upper NW area of what is considered Atlanta and there are 6 good quilt shops within an hour of me. Every area seems to have guild and we have the Sewing Expo twice a year. Also, AQS is coming to Chattanooga this year. That's about an hour north of me.
Weather...no way around it...the Summers are hot, especially July, August and Sept but when I lived in San Antonio years ago the TX Summers seemed much worse to me.
The winters are usually mild and if we have an ice storm, it will make national news. They don't come every year. I consider that a good time to stay in and read quilt articles or talk on the forum. I might even come away from the computer and actually make a quilt.
The cost of living is quite reasonable outside the main city and people are kind. It's all in what you really want to do and how much human exposure you want...
Old 06-25-2014, 09:16 AM

Nothing and nowhere is a beautiful and full of quilt shops and quilters, as Oregon in the summer. From June to October Western Oregon is a green garden. Within two hours of my home in the WillametteValley, I can ski, Play in the ocean, shop the largest stores, and find hundreds of LQS and quilters! Come say hi!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM

As a Mass. resident transplanted to the St. George, Utah area, I think you should consider this area. We have plenty of fabric stores, a thread company headquarters, a large & very active quilt guild, hiking trails, national parks & most of the major stores. The population is growing, but St. George still isn't huge. The winters are mild ( early am -30's, late afternoon - 50's) We are only 120 miles from Vegas. My husband & I spent our vacations going to different areas recommended by "Where to Retire" magazine. You might consider getting a few copies at your local library to see where they suggest.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by AnnEliz View Post
Just remember, Debra, "Ever since the day you were born, you have been making an 'old' person." Sorry that you don't like old people. I can't stand screaming kids. Why do they have to scream to get attention and why do they need to have so much attention in today's world. It seems as if they have to be noticed and think they are the most important "thing" in the world. They MUST be seen and heard. This is my pet peeve and since I am old, I just LOVE old people and I love being OLD. lol and ha ha ha! Please don't get angry at me for saying this "stuff."
Ann, I totally agree with you! It seems you can't go anywhere (like that place that starts with a "w" and ends with an "almart") without being subjected to someone's ill-mannered brat! Everyone knew when I brought my kid somewhere, but that's because they heard me telling him Anthony Michael this or Michael that. And when I was a kid...if I threw such a fit I STILL wouldn't be able to sit down! I enjoy very young children for limited periods of time as long as they're not ill tempered and they can go away!