Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten? >

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 AM

Yes, I love to look at the wonderful quilts at these shows, but I am realizing that I can go to the Pictures Board here and see some gorgeous quilts, too...and I don't have to pay admission! Granted, I can't get up close and personal with them, but I love looking at them just the same. (Keep posting those pictures)

ILoveToQuilt-
No you can't get up close and personal with the quilts here, but there is a silver lining to it, if you have questions for the quilter, you can ask AND get an answer!
i used to go to quilt shows to see what everyone was doing, now I have all of you lovely quilters to be inspired by, and all I have to do is pay for internet. Cheaper by far.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:37 AM

I've found that I only attend every couple of years because so much is the same from the previous year. Prices on everything is so high that we've really cut back. I can pay within reason, but refuse to pay the high price.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:40 AM

I have seen a lot of threads here lately about the high cost of this, or the ridiculous cost of that. It has occurred to me that the reality is, everything is increasing in price, including this hobby. And yet, people still make quilts and attend shows.

That leads me to the conclusion that people will "find" money to do the things they want - whether it's to purchase a few yards of that "expensive" fabric, buy a new machine, or go to shows. I wouldn't mind if when I go to the Houston show in November, there were fewer people there because it costs too much to attend, but I know that won't happen. So while there are people who will skip the shows because of the cost, there are many more who find the cost reasonable and will attend.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

yes they have gone up but so has everything else.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

Hi Skratchie!!!

I'm with you... people find the $$ for a hobby if it's important to them. It's all about priorities, etc... or the desire to make the $$$ (aka "find" it) if they want something bad enough.

There sure are times where I pass on spending $$ at fabric shops because I did a big, bad thing at Bass Pro ... lol.

Heck... I skip going to the movies because of cost... because (priorities, now) ... kicking out about $30 to take my granddaughter to a movie (by the time tickets and sharing a popcorn & soda happen) just kills me most of the time. I'd rather spend $30 on something that will be enjoyed longer than 90 minutes.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sew Hooked View Post
Exactly WHERE are these high-priced shows at? I'm in Michigan, and the price for quilt shows is between $6 - $8. I have NEVER attended a $12 show!!!
New England. Can't speak for the rest of the country.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 PM

I don't care what the quilt shows cost. It is a rare opportunity to see in person the incredible works of talented quilters and as in the case of the Houston show, a wonderful chance to browse thru many booths featuring the items I am interested in learning about. The shows offer lectures, classes and so many avenues to learn, in just one place, that to me it is a value at any price. Besides, the entry fee at about $12 is a bargain. Yes I have to pay to park, but I live locally so I don't have hotel or air fair, so I am happy indeed.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM

I'm still a beginner but DH is taking me to the Houston show this Oct. I already know it will the 1st & last due to disabilities but I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. And I'll be able to see all the things everyone is talking about.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:07 PM

The Rocky Mountain Quilt, Craft and Sewing Festival is coming to Colorado on July 10 11 and 12th. Parking is free and ALL of the classes and workshops are free. Tickets are $10.00 unless you have a $1.00 off coupon that you can get from the internet. I feel so lucky after hearing the prices at other shows. It used to be held in Denver but the flyer says that due to increased costs they are moving it to Castle Rock, CO. I wasn't going to go but after hearing what a good deal it is compared to other shows, I am going to find a way to go.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RipStitcher View Post
Hi Skratchie!!!

I'm with you... people find the $$ for a hobby if it's important to them. It's all about priorities, etc... or the desire to make the $$$ (aka "find" it) if they want something bad enough.

There sure are times where I pass on spending $$ at fabric shops because I did a big, bad thing at Bass Pro ... lol.

Heck... I skip going to the movies because of cost... because (priorities, now) ... kicking out about $30 to take my granddaughter to a movie (by the time tickets and sharing a popcorn & soda happen) just kills me most of the time. I'd rather spend $30 on something that will be enjoyed longer than 90 minutes.
Hiya, Rip!

I totally will skip a movie in favor of fabric! Lol