Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten? >

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Has Anyone Noticed How Expensive Quilt Show Admissions Have Gotten?

Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 PM

Don't ya' just love it when they call the admission fee a "donation?"
Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 AM

I don't have a problem with the admission prices, it's the cost of the hotel that gets me.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:36 AM

I sure have. I live near Yosemite Nat'l Park, and there is only 1 LQS within 50 miles, so I always attend the local guild's show, but last year a friend and I went to Pacific International and I spent way too much money on admission, meals and a room. Had fun, but would much rather have spent that closer to home. The only thing I bought there that I have not seen online is a pad and pedal that keeps my footpedal from roaming all over the floor. Everything else I bought I could have gotten online and spent less. I know the feeling you are having, but it is fun to attend the Big Shows
Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Shows are pricey but I think it is worth it to see the quilts in person. Last two shows I went to I only brought money for admission and lunch. Couldn't afford to buy anything from the vendors. I wouldn't have even visited the vendor booths to avoid temptation. However, the gals I was with were more interested in the vendors than the quilts. Next time, I will look more closely at the quilts while they shop.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 PM

I am in charge of travel for the guild I belong to. I just had 56 people on a bus going from Davenport, Iowa to Chicago, Illinois and charge $35.00 for a ticket and this included the bus ticket and show ticket. Many guilds offer this type of thing and it is well worth the money to me. I can sit back and ride and not have to drive or pay for parking. My husband agrees it cheap.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

Now I'm totally discouraged. I had no idea these things were so expensive.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:11 AM

The quilt show in Grand Rapids Mi cost $10.00 a day plus parking. It is a once a year thing. I northern Mi there aren't many to go to. We feel $50.00 to $100 is not to much for a quilt show on that great of scale.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:47 AM

In March , I attended a Sewing Expo here in Fl. for the second year. Its about 25 mi. from my home , admission was $12 and parking $8. My friend drove and I gave her $10 for gas etc. The other woman who went along didn't offer a cent . However , when we arrived , she did offer to pay for the parking. The driver got in free for bringing 2 people. We stopped and ate before we arrived there, using our food coupons. The show was in a large convention center with vendors from the big name companies There was so much to see and we went our separate ways because we have somewhat different interests. We were there for about 6 hours. We save our money for this show and I did find some wonderful stuff. After seeing the demo for the Scan and Cut, I had to have it. One of my passions is painting with stencils and I do like to make my own which I can do with this machine.
It was a fun day and we can hardly wait for next year. The Sewing Expo is in Lakeland Fl in Mar. if anyone is interested.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I am in charge of travel for the guild I belong to. I just had 56 people on a bus going from Davenport, Iowa to Chicago, Illinois and charge $35.00 for a ticket and this included the bus ticket and show ticket. Many guilds offer this type of thing and it is well worth the money to me. I can sit back and ride and not have to drive or pay for parking. My husband agrees it cheap.
I have tried, unsuccessfully to get our guild to hire a bus to go to various shows, but always get the oh too expensive, can't do excuse...and we are in Illinois -wanting to go to a show in Illinois! You must give me your secret...I will organize it myself! Your cost per person sounds great!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I really have a problem with guild members that pipe up with it's too expensive when something new is planned. Well why should a fun thing be taken away from the members that think it's not too expensive? The item is voted down by the too rich for my blood members thus taking it away from those that want it and will pay the fee. If you can't afford something is no reason to vote against it. You don't have to attend the function or class. My guild is on the brink of folding because members that want to spend money have formed a new group that makes no apology for spending money or having the money to plan activities. The ones left in the guild are those that don't want to spend any money if they have it or not.