Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
X Blocks -  Any Tips? >

X Blocks - Any Tips?

X Blocks - Any Tips?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 AM

Well aren't you the lucky one to get all that free! I have been tempted for awhile to buy that template and a pattern, but know also seeing an actual finished....temptation getting stronger! Have fun with your new gift......
Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I LOVE making the X-blocks quilts! It's a lot of fun, but you can't be a perfectionist with them. When it says to press the seams open, it really is the best way to go. The lighter colored one I made for my husband. The darker colored one I made for my boss, who's a rancher. If you look carefully, you'll see cows, barbed wire, brands, etc. The secret with X-blocks quilts is where you put the light, medium and dark prints.

Have fun with it!
Beautiful quilts, never heard of X block quilts before.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:13 AM

I've made a few quilts with the X Block. However, I had a bit of trouble keeping my points if I used the rotary cutter to trace around the block. I prefer the twister tool which I find similar but easier to get better results. Perhaps someone has tips as to not losing the points?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:32 AM

I have made one. More are on my bucket list, but haven't gotten to them yet. One of the great things about the patterns is that scraps cut from using your x-block template at an angle (strips or 9-patches) can be used in the borders as shown in quiltedsunshine's pics. Mine was just a baby quilt and is just a top now. I'll post a picture if I can locate it.

Linda in Missouri
Old 07-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I purchased the templates for the "X" blocks at a quilt show a few years ago, and as soon as I find them again, I plan to make a quilt or two. LOL. We downsized 4 years ago, and with 2 surgeries in the last 2 years, they have been delegated to a "safe place" - the problem being I don't remember quite where that "safe place" is.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 AM

those are very pretty. I love your use of striped fabric in the first one, and the striped border really Zings! it.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 PM

I made the Venetian tiles quilt a few years ago. I don't remember having any problems with it. You do have bias edges so use some starch. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 PM

WOW - these quilts are awesome and the tips are fantastic. I appreciate the starch reminder for bias as I seem to forget that until about half way in! Thanks for all this great info. Would love to see others that everyone has made.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the inquiry. It inspires me to make up mine. The x blocks and patterns have been in my drawer for three years at least!