Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thrift shop quilt--60s or 70s fabric? >

thrift shop quilt--60s or 70s fabric?

thrift shop quilt--60s or 70s fabric?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
What do you mean by finishing with an envelope instead of binding? I don't know what that means.
If you join the top & backing right sides together [RST] & leave a few inches unsewn so that you can turn it inside out, this is also called birthing a quilt & i'm sure there are other names for it. hope this helps! http://www.hgtv.com/video/birthing-a...deo/index.html

Last edited by just_the_scraps_m'am; 07-14-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 AM

One of the first quilts DH and I made when we started quilting (late 70's) was a Tumbling Blocks that was made from my dressmaking scraps. We used it on the bed for the last 35 years. It got pretty ragged and whenever I had spare time between projects I would repair it.

When we moved recently, to a furnished place, I gave it to a guy I know whose wife quilts, along with some of the fabric I had cut to repair it. I just spoke to her on the phone last night, and she is repairing it and putting it in a quilt show! So there can be new life for old raggedy quilts after all!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 AM

That is a great find and I admire you for preserving a piece of history, that somebody did see the value in the quilt. I found blocks at an estate sale and the blocks were hand embroidery and painted with fabric paint of 48 states flowers. So you know it was old. It is finished and ready to quilt. When I finish, I may post it.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 AM

I used to work in a fabric shop during the 80's and those fabrics look more 70's to me. The colors particularly from that era. So 60's fabrics could be there too because, well you know how we work. We by fabric and then keep it until just the right moment hits us. It might be interesting to see when you take it apart if there are any little snippets of salvage edges that may give you a clue to the age of fabric if not the age of the quilt.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:13 AM

I had the red/orange looking print in the late 60's early 70's.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM

I made a blouse from the dark blue calico with the red and yellow flowers with flower medalions. I was in high school when I made the blouse. That would make it 1972ish.
Sharon
Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM

There are two books out there that can help you with dating the fabrics:

Dating Fabrics: A Color Guide 1800-1960
Dating Fabrics: A Color Guide 1950-2000

I have found these online for under $20 used. I don't own them, but have seen them in my guild library. Maybe some QB member that owns them can look up the fabrics for you.

BTW, I've been known to rescue "unlovable" looking quilts, too. I've actually taken them apart and kept the fabrics I've wanted and tossed the rest. For $2 it probably would have come home with me, too!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Default Yep, I would have kept my 2 bucks..

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
I happen to agree that I would have saved my two dollars. And I would no more use the time to remake such a poorly made quilt than I would buy somebody's poorly made dress to remake!

We are allowed to have differing opinions. She did ask what we would do.

That is not to say that the op shouldn't do what she wants. If something about this thing speaks to her then she should go for it.
We are so politically correct anymore that none dares to speak the truth.. I'm sure there are better things to use all that time on.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
If you really look at it, it looks like there is a theme. I think the fab spans three decades, 60's - 80's. You can see it if you look at each selection of different fabrics. I wonder if it was a family quilt, maybe clothing made for or by that family, remnants sewn into a quilt, perhaps as a gift.

What you could do if you want to rescue it is remove the backing, iron it as flat as possible, then fuse a light interfacing to it. You wouldn't have to worry about the fraying pieces and if you attempt to take it apart you may lose more than you think. Then just back it with a fleece and tie it, or whatever your preference is.
Now this sounds like a reasonable plan! and putting fleece for the backing is a terrific idea!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 PM

Just came across this thread and I'm glad you saved the quilt. It has such a feeling of the 60s -70s and clearly took a trmendous amount of work - all the hand stitching!