Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Working with White Fabric >

Working with White Fabric

Working with White Fabric

Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 PM

I use white a lot. When you put your top on the white batting your seam allowances will be much less noticeable. For this reason I use Warm and White cotton batting instead of Warm and Natural. Some white fabrics are heavier than others and yours may have been on the thinner side. But don't worry about seeing some seam allowances they are part of the quilt! Also after it is quilted and washed and crinkled a little you likely won't notice the seam allowances at all.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Once the batting is in and quilted the seams will be less noticeable. As for twisted seams, I usually remove a few stitches at the intersection, switch the seam and resew if possible.
Great solution!

Jutzme, I wouldn't worry about the white. It will be less noticeable when you get the batting behind it. Oma 66 had some good ideas. I think your quilt is beautiful and you did a great job. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 PM

This is awesome info. I use white a lot. Usually white on white. I love the quilting suggestions. Thank you.
Originally Posted by oma66 View Post
I have used white many times and when I see the seams I use that as a quilting quide and it then become more of the design of the quilt. I mirror the first quilting line at least once and I find it works out very well for me. When you do put the batting behind it will show up less as PenniF pointed out. I know you are going to find the right solution and it will turn out beautifully.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I use white a lot. When you put your top on the white batting your seam allowances will be much less noticeable. For this reason I use Warm and White cotton batting instead of Warm and Natural. Some white fabrics are heavier than others and yours may have been on the thinner side. But don't worry about seeing some seam allowances they are part of the quilt! Also after it is quilted and washed and crinkled a little you likely won't notice the seam allowances at all.
Also, agree. Batting, backing and quilting and washing will add a whole new dimension to your quilt. Just keep going. I bet the end result turns out great.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:15 PM

God advice here -- it will work out fine and won't be as noticeable once it is quilted. You do have a beautiful top!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
This happens to me as well. White batting does seem to help. I agree, try to gently unsew the twisted seam, correct the problem and resew. Good luck and hope the batting takes care of the problem.
This is a great and correct way to fix that twisted seam. If I'm in a hurry, I've been know to clip the seam allowance a bit till I can get the offending twisted seam to flip to the side it needs to be on. (said very sheepishly, but, honestly) Sure hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 PM

I agree that once the batting is in and it's quilted it won't be so noticeable. My problem with using white was the little stray colored threads that just kept showing up underneath in spite of me being super careful.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the hints! I am going to town tomorrow to get the white batting! What I a good white cotton to use? I was using moda's bleached white.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:51 AM

I have never tried this, but I have heard that lining the quilt with white interfacing really helps. Might be an interesting experiment to try.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

Usually the rule is to press towards the darker fabric but I think that is pattern is one of the exceptions. I would put some batting underneath it and see if that helps. It is just part of the piecing process.